• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Severe drone at 2.5k rpm after middle muffler delete.

spock345

I replaced my middle muffler with a straight pipe after it fell apart on me due to rust. Now whenever the engine hits 2.5k rpm I get a really bad drone. I rather like the difference in sound most of the time but need to find some way to at least reduce the drone as I will be driving cross country soon and I think this will drive me insane. Is there an inexpensive way to reduce the drone?

Higher speed/higher rpm will get rid of the drone.

I would do that but the drone happens at 2500 rpm, which is where my automatic transmission likes to live while cruising at 60-65 mph. If I go below that or above 3000 the drone lessens or disappears.

I am just curious if there is a modification I can perform to the exhaust that will cost less than a $40 resonator.

cJhXi9d.jpg

24.95 at amazon, and also good for working with tools.

40$ is a cheap fix, engineered by Volvo engineers, you aren't going to get better for cheaper.

Google "? wave resonator". It's basically a tuned length of pipe attached at 90? to the exhaust pipe.

What type of rear muffler is being run?

The stock rear muffler. I am intrigued by the 1/4 wave resonator. Might as well try that. I wonder if changing the weight distribution of the exhaust at all would change the resonant frequency?

Last edited:
I?m also looking forward to the first test drive (actual troubles to get the car running normal after 1 year standing and wasted spark modification).
The resonators are quite heavy. Got them new for 10 Euro so no tragedy if they are useless...

Exhaust weights for drone/harmonic issues are quite common. I have the same condition as the OP at 2300, but it doesn't occur enough for me to have addressed it, so I can't speak for personal results. If I were going to try to remediate it, however, it's the only approach I'd take. Otherwise, I'd say F it.

1/4 wave resonators work, and work well. However, there's some science involved. If you decide to make one, make it adjustable so you can tune it appropriately. I can promise you won't get it right on the first try. Pipe diameter and length are crucial.

Or just buy a vibrant ultra quiet resonator and be done with it.

honestly, I'd ditch the rear muffler and put the resonator back on there. aside from the weight it's not a very restrictive piece.. and I doubt OP is at a point where a couple of lbs makes any difference whatsoever in the performance of the vehicle.

Remove all of your exhaust and just make a series of 1/4 wave resonators, so it looks like a pipe organ down there....you'll eliminate all the frequencies.

Thank you all for the input. This is definitely enough to keep me busy for a while. I will just have to start experimenting with my exhaust setup. Perhaps try experimenting with a few weights on the exhaust or the vibration absorbers to see what that does, then a 1/4 wave resonator if the previous approach doesn't work (I can actually leverage those college physics classes now). If all else fails I will experiment with mufflers, although I would rather not as I like the sound my exhaust makes right now, other than the drone.

Back