• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Boost maxed out at 9.8psi

JimmyMelbs

So I've fitted a shanghai windmill on the car with a hose of other performance mods and was hoping I could wind my boost up to around 22psi.
I'm running a Innovate SCG-1 Boost controller/afr gauge and no matter what I try to do settings wise my boost seems to max out a 9.8psi.
I have a ported internal wastegate if that matters.
Can anyone shed some advice, could it be my turbo or is it more than likely the controller I'm using?
Not sure where to start.
Thanks for any input.

Remove the boost controller and run the boost just off the WG (vac line from turbo to WG), See what it does. Then remove the line off the WG so you have zero boost control and go for a gentle drive using your foot to control boost.
You will be able to tell very quickly if the boost goes over 10psi. After that hook up the boost controller and make sure your setting are correct.

It could be if you ported it to big that there is a leak or constant bypass limiting boost but it would have to be obvious.

Remove the boost controller and run the boost just off the WG (vac line from turbo to WG), See what it does. Then remove the line off the WG so you have zero boost control and go for a gentle drive using your foot to control boost.
You will be able to tell very quickly if the boost goes over 10psi. After that hook up the boost controller and make sure your setting are correct.

It could be if you ported it to big that there is a leak or constant bypass limiting boost but it would have to be obvious.

I have tried setting base boost by disabling the controller electronically and doing some pulls. Seems wastegate spring pressure is around 6psi.

Are you saying I should disconnect.the solenoid and go for a drive to see if it pulls harder?

I have tried setting base boost by disabling the controller electronically and doing some pulls. Seems wastegate spring pressure is around 6psi.

Are you saying I should disconnect.the solenoid and go for a drive to see if it pulls harder?

He was suggesting that you remove the WG line entirely, and then ***CAREFULLY*** taking it for a drive and see if it can even make more boost. Be careful, because it will be uncontrolled boost, and if you keep your foot on it there's a chance it could spike really high and blow up the motor comprehensively and quickly. So just carefully add some skinny pedal, see if you can carefully get the boost higher, and if it goes much higher take your foot promptly back off the pedal.

This rules out that there's something iffy with your setup and it just can't make more boost even if it tries. Either exhaust back pressure, turbo problems, hotside leaks, air leaks in the intercooler piping, etc.

He was suggesting that you remove the WG line entirely, and then ***CAREFULLY*** taking it for a drive and see if it can even make more boost. Be careful, because it will be uncontrolled boost, and if you keep your foot on it there's a chance it could spike really high and blow up the motor comprehensively and quickly. So just carefully add some skinny pedal, see if you can carefully get the boost higher, and if it goes much higher take your foot promptly back off the pedal.

This rules out that there's something iffy with your setup and it just can't make more boost even if it tries. Either exhaust back pressure, turbo problems, hotside leaks, air leaks in the intercooler piping, etc.

Thanks for clarifying. Since the solenoid controls the boost boost adjustment I'll disconnect that thereby bypassing the controller without uninstalling it.

Maybe I'll first start by doing a leak test on my piping and rule that out.

I really appreciate the advice.

Back