• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

+300 whp post - Dynosheet inside

there are different options. better is relative. I watched a buddy kick MS to the curb in favor of an AEM because the AEM doesn't have problems like MS does...except that he had the exact same issue once the AEM was installed. But it's better eh? It must be, it costs easily twice what an ms2 setup costs... Like I said before I've made the same mistake myself.. I drank the coolaid, I went with a "real deal" EMS (more of a real deal than aem and most of the others, in that it's actually used in production vehicles around the world in addition to the aftermarket) and it turned out to be the biggest waste of time of all. You won't hear too many people talk about that kind of experience though, because most people don't want to fess up that they ran into a problem they could have resolved without spending more money and time. We all do it though from time to time.

At the end of the day I don't care what anyone runs one way or another, until you start talking about better this, worse that. so an FIC is better than an old ms1 setup? color me shocked, amazed, and rocked to the core [/sarcasm].

This has already been covered at great length in other posts above.

And I went backwards then. Selling my plug n play AEM series 2 in favor of megasquirt!

there are different options. better is relative. I watched a buddy kick MS to the curb in favor of an AEM because the AEM doesn't have problems like MS does...except that he had the exact same issue once the AEM was installed. But it's better eh? It must be, it costs easily twice what an ms2 setup costs... Like I said before I've made the same mistake myself.. I drank the coolaid, I went with a "real deal" EMS (more of a real deal than aem and most of the others, in that it's actually used in production vehicles around the world in addition to the aftermarket) and it turned out to be the biggest waste of time of all. You won't hear too many people talk about that kind of experience though, because most people don't want to fess up that they ran into a problem they could have resolved without spending more money and time. We all do it though from time to time.

At the end of the day I don't care what anyone runs one way or another, until you start talking about better this, worse that. so an FIC is better than an old ms1 setup? color me shocked, amazed, and rocked to the core [/sarcasm].

This has already been covered at great length in other posts above.

I didn't say it was better. I said it was better for me. I found it easier to get results I wanted without living in the fear of completely screwing something up. When I first got my MS1 V2.2 I was scared ****less that my build would take a major **** on me and I would imagine others are equally scared by it. Hell I bought about 4 different books on tuning and called several tuners just to pick their brain.

I had a complete article to copy to get it to work and a plug n play harness as well. Still its seemed like black magic to me. On the flip side the FIC 6 went on like a breeze and worked easily. There was tutorials for me to follow and I fealt a lot more comforable with what I was doing.

Hell I did my MS1 v2.2 years ago though and I am sure that support has gotten better. Bang for buck it can't be beat. Not possible. However there are some other value options out there. As far as the MS2 and MS3 I don't know **** about them but they seem to have a lot more features then the MS1 so I may be making a moot point.

Every make is going to have its own preference. My Audi it seems like Eurodyne is the ot ticket. Toyota mostly MS. Volvo I don't know. Honda has a slew of options. I guess its like women. Everyone wants something a bit different. However had I used say Motec on my car I may not have been scared to push it. That probably falls back on me though having a lil trust into a $240 Stand alone.

And I went backwards then. Selling my plug n play AEM series 2 in favor of megasquirt!

giphy.gif

I didn't say it was better. I said it was better for me. I found it easier to get results I wanted without living in the fear of completely screwing something up. When I first got my MS1 V2.2 I was scared ****less that my build would take a major **** on me and I would imagine others are equally scared by it. Hell I bought about 4 different books on tuning and called several tuners just to pick their brain.

I had a complete article to copy to get it to work and a plug n play harness as well. Still its seemed like black magic to me. On the flip side the FIC 6 went on like a breeze and worked easily. There was tutorials for me to follow and I fealt a lot more comforable with what I was doing.

Hell I did my MS1 v2.2 years ago though and I am sure that support has gotten better. Bang for buck it can't be beat. Not possible. However there are some other value options out there. As far as the MS2 and MS3 I don't know **** about them but they seem to have a lot more features then the MS1 so I may be making a moot point.

Every make is going to have its own preference. My Audi it seems like Eurodyne is the ot ticket. Toyota mostly MS. Volvo I don't know. Honda has a slew of options. I guess its like women. Everyone wants something a bit different. However had I used say Motec on my car I may not have been scared to push it. That probably falls back on me though having a lil trust into a $240 Stand alone.

You spent more money on the motec, so you trust it more. Thats the gist of this.

dont know what kind of troubles each one of you has had, or has solved

just know that our engines with 575 cm3 per cilynder, and a high volumetric efficiency need a really nice ignition system, of course if you get 310 whp with a 5.0 v8, you dont need such a great ignition, because when the pressure rises, more dielectric the cilynder gets and its harder for the ignition system to fire up the cilynder

in order with this, pressure i much higher in a 2.3 4 cilynder engine than in a 5.0 v8

Last edited:

you said "other better options". I'll stop nitpicking tho ;)

It is nothing like what it used to be. There's a lot of things that have been improved hugely just in the past ~ year and a half or so. Not so much to knock ms1, but.. that **** is old. with the latest version(s) of firmware for it though it is still miles ahead of where even it started.

to a degree the prices reflect this (they also reflect the commercialization of it all as well), but the feature list and tuning software are extremely.. I guess competitive is a good word, the software is far better than a lot of other mainstream systems in terms of speed, relative intuitiveness (in the sense that, if you're already generally familiar with tuning software, it's very easy to navigate and use, if it's your first time, it doesn't matter what system you fire up, you're going to be inundated and buried with options). If you want an example of what not to do, go download and fire up the proefi end-user software and be amazed by ****ty-ness.

dont know what kind of troubles each one of you has had, or has solved

just know that our engines with 575 cm3 per cilynder, and a high volumetric efficiency need a really nice ignition system, of course if you get 310 whp with a 5.0 v8, you dont need such a great ignition, because when the pressure rises, more dielectric the ambient and its harder for the ignition system to fire the cilynder

in order with this, pressure i much higher in a 2.3 4 cilynder engine than in a 5.0 v8

Sure, so you upgrade the ignition system on the car. With the electromotive system, you have to use their coils, which are hot as ****, so naturally I would expect them to perform better than a distributor system and single ignition coil.

You spent more money on the motec, so you trust it more. Thats the gist of this.

Nver bought a Motec. Just saying it would be easier to trust something you put more money into. Like buying an eBay turbo or a Garrett. The difference here is that the MS1 is not really the same quality as a ebay turbo but you get what I mean.

I am pretty sure you can drive COPs with MS right? Hell I was running EDIS back years ago and it worked great.

Nver bought a Motec. Just saying it would be easier to trust something you put more money into. Like buying an eBay turbo or a Garrett. The difference here is that the MS1 is not really the same quality as a ebay turbo but you get what I mean.

I am pretty sure you can drive COPs with MS right? Hell I was running EDIS back years ago and it worked great.

I trust my ms box just as much as the haltech on my friends car. Maybe moreso because I know I can take it apart and fix it if something happens instead of sending it half way across the world.

I get what you're saying, and I understand that argument too (which is the same argument I was making earlier as well).. the idea that you spend more on something to do the same thing as the cheaper something else, you inherently put more faith into that than you would the cheaper something else... even if that isn't warranted.

Back