home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 08:42 AM   #1
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default LH2.4 turbo ecu/ezk pn compatibility

Alright I know there's countless threads with this info. I'm wanting to know which ecus from a turbo car will be plug and play with my 93 240. Part numbers would be helpful. I searched this link http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=100225 and it seems that 56x series would be a good idea, reliable. Also 92x-98x should work. And what ignition computers work? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
__________________
Feedback Thread
Current:
93' 244T M47
90' 744 AW70
95' Camry A140E, 246k
99' Camry A140E.
Past (Volvos):
80' 242gt M46
88' 245T M47
92' 945T AW71
94' 945T AW71
90' 745T AW71 (Donor car for the 91)
90' 745 NA sold
93' 945T in burgundy
91' 745 Regina AW701 turbo (traded for 96 Camry wagon)
93' 245 M47



People think Volvos are good cars until they drive cars that are actually good.
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:46 AM   #2
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default

Scratch the 98x, OBDII, eff that.
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:24 AM   #3
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical
 
thelostartof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Apache Junction, AZ
Default

the 98x ECU's were not sold in the US, even then many here run them without issues. They have basic support for ODBII and actually work very goodl.

Otherwise the 'best' ECU most would say 967 as the best model ECU sold in US spec cars.

From what I have experienced the 56x are the most common to failure that I have seen.
__________________
Chip Feedback Thread / PM LH 2.4 Chip Prices
thelostartof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #4
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelostartof View Post
the 98x ECU's were not sold in the US, even then many here run them without issues. They have basic support for ODBII and actually work very goodl.

Otherwise the 'best' ECU most would say 967 as the best model ECU sold in US spec cars.

From what I have experienced the 56x are the most common to failure that I have seen.
Well I don't want failure, so I'll keep an eye out for a 967, which is plug and play..? Also, for the ignition computer is it the same part number?
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:17 PM   #5
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default

After a little more research, wouldn't the ecu and ezk I have right now (93 lh2.4) be the white label? So I can eliminate and 5xx series ecu's.

Last edited by iHateVolvoPeople; 05-12-2014 at 02:21 PM..
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:36 PM   #6
sbabbs
Board Member
 
sbabbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Rushing Lane, Scappoose, OR
Default

I thought you wanted Turbo ECU and EZK?

I've seen white label 951 NA ECU's. I'd get 937 or 954 or 967 for the fuel ECU. For the ignition EZK box I'd get a 148 non-EGR one or any chippable EZK box and put supped up chip in it.
__________________
1988 245 White slicktop M47 Wagon! 2.5L NA 8v going in.
1990 745 B230FT Getrag JohnV flywheel 240mm clutch 13c A-cam 3.54 G80 548K MILES
1991 740SE B230FT NPR Strut braces IPD bar A cam 550cc EV14's. 3.73 G80 M90 to put in.
sbabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #7
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbabbs View Post
I thought you wanted Turbo ECU and EZK?

I've seen white label 951 NA ECU's. I'd get 937 or 954 or 967 for the fuel ECU. For the ignition EZK box I'd get a 148 non-EGR one or any chippable EZK box and put supped up chip in it.
Wait..I do want the turbo ecu and ezk..lol and can I leave it non chipped?
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:04 PM   #8
sbabbs
Board Member
 
sbabbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Rushing Lane, Scappoose, OR
Default

Yeah if you don't want to put a chip in the ignition box then get a stock 148 turbo EZK. For the fuel all the ECU's are chippable so that doesn't matter. You do have to add the resistor box to the NA harness if using stock turbo injectors as those are low impedance.
sbabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:28 PM   #9
2manyturbos
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Monroe, OR USA
Default

A 954 or 967 will be the latest versions of the turbo ECUs for the US market.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:55 PM   #10
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbabbs View Post
Yeah if you don't want to put a chip in the ignition box then get a stock 148 turbo EZK. For the fuel all the ECU's are chippable so that doesn't matter. You do have to add the resistor box to the NA harness if using stock turbo injectors as those are low impedance.
I'm probably going to use high impedance injectors what are some of the high impedance injectors for that matter..green tops..? idunno
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:58 PM   #11
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
A 954 or 967 will be the latest versions of the turbo ECUs for the US market.
Are either of those OBDII? I don't want OBDII, I'd like a plug n play ecu to take the spot of my 951. Or can I just leave the 951? I was under the impression that a 951, being 2.4 and all, is a learner and could learn with the boost. True or not?
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:29 PM   #12
sbabbs
Board Member
 
sbabbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Rushing Lane, Scappoose, OR
Default

951 ECU is a NON turbo ECU. If you are going turbo, you need a turbo one. OBDII is 984 only and they didn't come in this country. I use a 984 but I put a 967 chip in it and works fine that way. The real problem with 984 is it has an immobilizer key deal and won't work stock in any USA car..
sbabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:36 PM   #13
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbabbs View Post
951 ECU is a NON turbo ECU. If you are going turbo, you need a turbo one. OBDII is 984 only and they didn't come in this country. I use a 984 but I put a 967 chip in it and works fine that way. The real problem with 984 is it has an immobilizer key deal and won't work stock in any USA car..
sheeeiitt..But since mine is chippable couldn't I adapt it to see boost? You know what. idc, I'm getting a (I think) 963?
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:39 PM   #14
sbabbs
Board Member
 
sbabbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Rushing Lane, Scappoose, OR
Default

I have put a turbo chip in a 951 and it did work, but the check engine light stayed on, but this was in a 740. I was just testing to see if it would work. I'd get a turbo ECU..
sbabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:10 PM   #15
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbabbs View Post
I have put a turbo chip in a 951 and it did work, but the check engine light stayed on, but this was in a 740. I was just testing to see if it would work. I'd get a turbo ECU..
That's the plan. Where can I find out if it's a turbo ecu or not? And does the ignition computer also have to be a turbo ignition computer?
I've been going by this http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=100225 but I'm not sure how reliable it is lol
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:24 PM   #16
midnightsaint
Board Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tulsa
Default

http://www.nuceng.ca/bill/volvo/database/ecu.htm
__________________
1991 240 bone stock(for now)
adtendite et videte si quis confidit
midnightsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:16 PM   #17
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightsaint View Post
I'm going to probably pick up a 954. What about the ignition computer?
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #18
2manyturbos
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Monroe, OR USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Volvo240 View Post
I'm going to probably pick up a 954. What about the ignition computer?
A 148, 149 or 207 will work. Those are all LH 2.4 turbo EZKs. The 149 and 207 are both out of EGR equipped vehicles and will trigger a check engine code if you do not have EGR hooked up. They will work fine without the EGR system hooked up. The 148 is a non-EGR EZK and will not trigger a code whether you have EGR or not, since it isn't looking for any EGR components. The 207 is the best of those three EZKs due to processor speed and the fact it can be chipped.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #19
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
A 148, 149 or 207 will work. Those are all LH 2.4 turbo EZKs. The 149 and 207 are both out of EGR equipped vehicles and will trigger a check engine code if you do not have EGR hooked up. They will work fine without the EGR system hooked up. The 148 is a non-EGR EZK and will not trigger a code whether you have EGR or not, since it isn't looking for any EGR components. The 207 is the best of those three EZKs due to processor speed and the fact it can be chipped.
Is there a way I can bypass it so no check engine light comes on? I guess I could pull the bulb lol. I'll look for a 148
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:54 PM   #20
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical
 
thelostartof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Apache Junction, AZ
Default

If you put a non EGR chip into the EZK it will not throw a code.

And as said above you can run a turbo ECU chip in a non turbo ECU but besides the check engine light others have said it does run a little off.

Best thing to do is use a turbo ECU.

For the EZK if can be a turbo or n/a EZK and then just chip it with a stock non EGR EZK chip or aftermarket chip and that will make it turbo and non EGR.
thelostartof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:37 PM   #21
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelostartof View Post
If you put a non EGR chip into the EZK it will not throw a code.

And as said above you can run a turbo ECU chip in a non turbo ECU but besides the check engine light others have said it does run a little off.

Best thing to do is use a turbo ECU.

For the EZK if can be a turbo or n/a EZK and then just chip it with a stock non EGR EZK chip or aftermarket chip and that will make it turbo and non EGR.
I'll probably stick to a turbo ecu (954) and a turbo ezk lol. I'm only really looking for reliability. I'd rather not have to chip it. All "oem" will make me happier

Last edited by iHateVolvoPeople; 05-14-2014 at 08:27 AM..
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:47 AM   #22
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default

Forgot I had this thread lol,well I'm going to see if my guy has a 148 ezk. If not I'll try to buy from you.
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:32 PM   #23
sbabbs
Board Member
 
sbabbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Rushing Lane, Scappoose, OR
Default

We'll you could take a chippable lh2.4 EZK and put a stock 148 chip in it......
sbabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.