• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Turbo Options for 850 (Question)

thelostartof

unbalanced chemical
300+ Club
Ok, so here is the deal, the 855T is the wifes DD, currently the car has a 15g that was rebuilt a few years ago but because of the turbo whine and smoke at idle I am starting to think this turbo might be on its way out. So here is the deal, I want to upgrade the turbo BUT I am not wanting to go all crazy on this car (yet). The car is manual swapped and while I am about to build a full exhaust for it I am trying to determine which turbo is the best fit for it. While I have a 19t on my 945 that I could swap onto this car am not a fan of super quick spooling turbos on white blocks because of the uh known issues they have.

So because of this I am trying to think of other turbo options that are a good fit for say a 300whp car. For the time being the car is only running 10psi and I am working on relearning more about tuning M4.3. While I do have a spare white block that I might build up for this chassis who knows.

Back to turbos, so on paper for sure I would want a .63 Volvo turbine housing and prob something like an ATP WG. Past that I am trying to make sense of a reasonable compressor side. The car is the Wife's DD until I get her something newer which might be a few years so I am not looking for a giant t3/t3 monster but I am wanting something a little laggier (hence the T3 setup). Besides just a basic .60/.63 T3 what are other good mild turbo options or ideals for these cars?

I guess something like a smaller size t4 might be ok as it will add enough lag that I would not worry to much about boost at lower rpms but will still get up and go up top when I drive the car.

Thank you for the time to read.

Back when I had my s70 I was running a 19t and it definitely made for a quick car. Instant spool yet pulled decently up top too. Back then I remember a thread or two from volvospeed where people were making really good numbers running a 20g. I believe at least one hit the 400hp mark. I?d always wanted to try one of those on a whiteblock. Good luck with whatever you decide

Thanks, my thing is that I am trying to get away from the td04hl series turbos, more exhuast flow on these engines help pick up a ton of hp up top and that is what I am looking for.

I have a spare 15g, and 16t on the bench I could I guess throw in it is just one of those things that I am trying to do once vs my 744 where I went through 5 turbos and I am about to put my 6th on it. Even my 945 I am on my third turbo waiting to do my final turbo on it.

00F0F_8w56cAefDPf_1200x900.jpg

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/ptd/d/phoenix-dodge-59-cummins-complete/6883814137.html

Thanks, my thing is that I am trying to get away from the td04hl series turbos, more exhuast flow on these engines help pick up a ton of hp up top and that is what I am looking for.

I have a spare 15g, and 16t on the bench I could I guess throw in it is just one of those things that I am trying to do once vs my 744 where I went through 5 turbos and I am about to put my 6th on it. Even my 945 I am on my third turbo waiting to do my final turbo on it.

I call BS on this one...:bs:

I call BS on this one...:bs:

HA, it is a GT2871R, it better be the final turbo. My 744 is getting a GT3582R so that one also is getting its final turbo.

Harry while I will have a spare HY35CW soon once I swap the GT onto the 744 that seems like way to much turbo, but it would be fun to spin in 4th.

Edit oh snap that is an HE351, big big turbo, maybe I will give that guy a call, let me check my stash of cash. Have a spare R manifold I can get milled flat?

How about the Holset hx30, just did this on my 945 it fit like a glove.

I have been telling people that the HX30 is a really ideal turbo for most but I think I have yet to find one for a good deal, that might be a good sized turbo for the 850 . . . Where did you find yours? My issue is that I would prefer a water cooled unit.

If you already have it, why not put the HY35 on the whiteblock.

It spools fast enough (imo) on my 940 daily. 10cm housing.

Full boost 3500 rpm, will save the rods from taking a beating on a whiteblock. Looks to be what you are looking for.

Last edited:
I have my K24 and greens sitting in a box I am about to sell. Made 299 whp and 310 tq on my manual 850.

Dyno is in my build thread somewhere.

I have been telling people that the HX30 is a really ideal turbo for most but I think I have yet to find one for a good deal, that might be a good sized turbo for the 850 . . . Where did you find yours? My issue is that I would prefer a water cooled unit.

I live in Cummins, Indiana.....I took it out of the box and the plastic bag at a great price, I may have a line on another NIB, I wouldn't worry too much about the water cooled part.

The waste gate actuator on the turbo I got didn't open till 38 psi, I put an 8 psi and have over boost issues, needs an external waste gate.

If you already have it, why not put the HY35 on the whiteblock.

It spools fast enough (imo) on my 940 daily. 10cm housing.

Full boost 3500 rpm, will save the rods from taking a beating on a whiteblock. Looks to be what you are looking for.

My HY35CW here had a ported WG hole to help with the boost control issues along with a larger valve. It worked great until I went to a 3.5" full exhaust where over 5500rpm the boost would blast from 20psi to 30psi by 7000rpm. After that I went External so the internal gate is welded shut. In order to use this turbo I would need another turbine housing or to go external.

And now that I think about it that holset does pull nice @ 10-12psi which is where this car would spend most of its life. Then again that 9cm2 turbine housing is to small in my mind for this engine as it is to small for the b230ft it lives on now, that is why I am going to a 1AR on the GT35. The turbine wheel is good sized tho. I guess something to think about. Clearance back there on the 850 would suck.

I have my K24 and greens sitting in a box I am about to sell. Made 299 whp and 310 tq on my manual 850.

Dyno is in my build thread somewhere.

The greens I might be interested in, then again I also happen to have 5 1000cc injectors here and the idea of MS has also been dancing through my mind for when I get the wife a newer DD so I can make this car proper stupid.

I live in Cummins, Indiana.....I took it out of the box and the plastic bag at a great price, I may have a line on another NIB, I wouldn't worry too much about the water cooled part.

The waste gate actuator on the turbo I got didn't open till 38 psi, I put an 8 psi and have over boost issues, needs an external waste gate.

What kind of boost issues? I always liked the idea of the HX30 on paper but that WG setup doesn't look much worse than the stock T3, it might need a larger hole and puck to help with flow.

I picked up my HY35CW NIB a long time ago for around $450 off ebay and so far it has been great to me with all of the abuse I have put it through.

I'm with Doug honestly. The 2871 on mine is a touch slower to spool than the 15g but it's still at full tilt by 2800 and will hit 15 by 2500 after a few seconds. Going something like a 3071 on a .63 should slow it down a little but give you some silly 3500+ response and power. It's money though over an HE351 or the like.

Back