• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Oil pressure sender wire?

Johnnya101

On my new 240, I spotted what appears to be the sender for the idiot light a by the alternator and oil filter (1991). There was no wire connected to it. After some searches online, I decided to look for the missing wire by the alternator harness. There is a single very thin stranded black wire that is bundled in the alternator harness and was just lying out in the open, and it appears to have been broken in the past (maybe some one changed the alternator and yanked it from the sender?).

Attached is a photo of the wire in question. Is this the correct wire for the oil pressure sender?
1iRrYZu.jpg

That should be the wire for the oil pressure sender.

You can test by grounding the wire and see if the dash oil warning light illuminates when you turn the ignition key.

And you can get repair pigtails from Volvo, Dave Barton and I stock them.

FYI, don't throw away the plastic retainer that holds the wire into the sender. If undamaged, it is reusable. I also have them if you need.

Pigtail3523813.jpg

Great, thanks. I am probably going to leave it disconnected because I plan on possibly putting in a gauge, but not sure. If not, I will let you know. The plastic bit was crumbling in my hand so I would need a new one.

repair pigtails
If you're not concerned with the plastic retainer fitting perfectly, I've used the generic "waterproof" 3.5mm bullet terminals you can get on eBay to "repair" the radio suppression relay connector. This looks like the same thing. Make sure you don't use cheap wire if you go that route. I've been cutting up a dishwasher electrical harness for my wires.

Back