• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Flywheel cracks

I would think that if the flat iron flywheels were a problem, a lot of guys on this board would have short legs.

How many are flogging a dog dish flywheel? Those are way more hazardous (in my eyes) than a heat checked flat one.

Surface it and run it......

I would think that if the flat iron flywheels were a problem, a lot of guys on this board would have short legs.

How many are flogging a dog dish flywheel? Those are way more hazardous (in my eyes) than a heat checked flat one.

Surface it and run it......

:uh:

OP says it's a 2.4 flywheel from a parts car, so I'm gonna guess / assume it's a doggy dish flywheel.

My very casual, second-hand anecdotal, hazy impression is that most of the failed Volvo flywheels I've ever heard of were:
- dogdish
- modified - often by removing some material in the 'dish'
- being used *hard* (i.e. abused) - revved really high, getting lots of heat poured into them, etc

In your case - resurface it.

My very casual, second-hand anecdotal, hazy impression is that most of the failed Volvo flywheels I've ever heard of were:
- dogdish
- modified - often by removing some material in the 'dish'
- being used *hard* (i.e. abused) - revved really high, getting lots of heat poured into them, etc

In your case - resurface it.

Bingo.
If you're just going to have a DD with a 13C use the stock dog-dish (resurfaced obviously) and a turbo clutch kit.
If you want something sporty, go with a STS machining 60-2 flat flywheel with a Sachs clutch kit. That'll hold all a 13c can throw at it as long as you're not launching the car.

Want something better, go for a TTV flywheel with whatever clutch kit you want. The flywheels are ~$350-400 shipped to the states right now.
http://ttvracing.com/products/?manufacturers=volvo&engine=volvo-b230&type=flywheels

That does make me feel better about it. For all the "You're going to chop both your feet off" anecdotes, I haven't been able to find any actual occurrence of that happening in our cars. I'm running a dog dish in my NA 88 245. It didn't have any cracks on it though when I put a clutch in. Before I ran into this one with cracks I never even thought twice about it, ignorance is bliss as they say.

It Could Always Be Worse

There was a young man from Boston

Who bought himself an Aston

There was room for his ass and a gallon of gas

His balls hung out so he lost em

There once was a man from Kent.
With a dick so long it bent.
He stuck it in double, without any trouble.
And instead of coming he went.

That does make me feel better about it. For all the "You're going to chop both your feet off" anecdotes, I haven't been able to find any actual occurrence of that happening in our cars. I'm running a dog dish in my NA 88 245. It didn't have any cracks on it though when I put a clutch in. Before I ran into this one with cracks I never even thought twice about it, ignorance is bliss as they say.

You haven't but that doesn't mean it didn't happen..
I've never seen 2 dinosaurs rampaging right in front of me..
Is that some kind of proof that dinosura never happened and they never fought?

I once Google image searched "exploded Volvo flywheels"..Plenty of piccies.

There is a small chance that your personal experiences may be limited.

what did your machinist say about it? The more years I spend building Volvos the more I listen to people with parts in their hand over people armed with pictures on the internet.

If your machinist says "oh yeah, that'll clean up fine" and he cuts it and it does... put it back together and go drive your car.

I have a lightened flat flywheel that I pulled once and posted pictures up here. Guys said ZOMG it's cracked, totally gonna blow. I had it surfaced and it was completely fine....

(FWIW I spent the money on a steel flywheel, but that's in a 7k rpm motor)

It is rare, yet, when it happens at high RPM it is violent. It ripped Simon's frame rail open and pieces went right though the hood and hit another car at the drag strip. It isn't something I want to experience.

Let’s also remember that when Simon had his FW explode, it was with a ceramic clutch disk that was slipping the entire time on a poorly machined (lightened) dog dish flywheel. And he was still sending it at the drag strip. That slipping disk was dumping a TON of heat into the fw.

Unfortunately they didn't buff out!
uB1t1L1h.jpg

1yfgR21h.jpg

vf02x22

Back