• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Quick under dash felt question

Johnnya101

On my late 245 I noticed the driver's underdash felt was very loose and was rubbing on my legs. After removing the knee bolster, it appears to have been cut and was only connected at the bottom.

I've only had older 240s without the knee bolster stuff.

Reading this thread, it seems like Volvo didn't bother securing the top? https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/sagging-24-driver-footwell-cover-81692/

There are holes for clips on the bar under the steering wheel.

So is this felt supposed to be clipped, or should I just zip tie it up and it is correct how it is?
F4ewCTx.jpg

tj9RhRE.jpg

(I know the bottom clips are not installed and the heater vent rubber was not installed in the photos)

I've had this same experience, but got lucky and found insulation in good shape in a junkyard car. I expect the condition might depend a lot on the moisture absorbed over 20 years from leaky heater cores, windshields, wet boots, or non-op ACs. They probably were not aware of the annoyance until 15 or 20 years out of production.

Look at the passenger side and see how that side is attached, it should be connected to those metal clips (shown in your picture) with round plastic clips that push in and twist to lock. The top side should clip(same clips) into the bottom of the dash.
Since your driverside is cut you would net a new one plus some of those plastic clips.

Look at the passenger side and see how that side is attached, it should be connected to those metal clips (shown in your picture) with round plastic clips that push in and twist to lock. The top side should clip(same clips) into the bottom of the dash.
Since your driverside is cut you would net a new one plus some of those plastic clips.

No. What you describe is the way it work pre air bag 240s. The 90-93 with the air bags all come with that felt cut off in the middle. It just drapes over the steel bar.

Thanks for all the replies. I’ll see if I can get ahold of an earlier pre airbag felt piece just to see for the heck of it if it fits. The clip holes are all there already. If not I’ll zip tie it.

I found that I had a non airbag felt piece in my stash of parts. It's a bit tired but I wanted to see if it would work.

It most definitely does make a difference. You don't even need the top clips, the knee bolster keeps it in place. I can see why Volvo cut the new style felt shorter, because it is harder to get the knee bolster in place, but once it is, the felt is tight and looks a lot better. No more sagging.

Has anyone ever done a knee bolster delete to make it look like an earlier car?

Back