• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Dyno sheets. What next?

Forcing air through smaller piping raises the temperature of the whole turbo system...that's why bigger pipes are beneficial they don't create more heat and they shed more heats thanks the fact the larger pipes having more area to displace heat.

Yes you can run smaller pipes and get same results....the real difference is cost....smaller pipes cost less so that's why most pay less for them......but those that understand what's happening pay more fore biggest pipes they can get cuz the benefits of the bigger pipes outweighs the small diameter pipe

Finally got around to taking the IPD gear off and timing the cam straight up. Reset LH and only got to put 30 miles on it so far, but I can tell a huge difference already. The lean patch has setlled down on me, power curve is much more linear. The butt dyno can't tell any loss in low end torque, but power on the high end is much better. Overall feels much smoother and is definitely an improvement for the current setup.

Forcing air through smaller piping raises the temperature of the whole turbo system...that's why bigger pipes are beneficial they don't create more heat and they shed more heats thanks the fact the larger pipes having more area to displace heat.

Yes you can run smaller pipes and get same results....the real difference is cost....smaller pipes cost less so that's why most pay less for them......but those that understand what's happening pay more fore biggest pipes they can get cuz the benefits of the bigger pipes outweighs the small diameter pipe

You have lost your mind. I did an exact test on difference of small intercooler piping and large intercooler piping with IAT and there is absolutely no difference in temp if the piping will support the flow as I already told you. Yes if you are trying to force 40lb min of flow through 1.5" intercooler piping its going to heat it up. However 2.5" has been proven to be more then ample for over 500AWHP and 3" is OVER KILL!!! (hell I know a car that is running close to 700AWHP with 2.5" but I guess he cut cost right?) I did this test back about 8 years ago and I will try to find it for you.

These cars run small compressor with tiny exducer which is what accelerates the air outward from the compressor housing. Since the compressor exducer is so small you have to spin the absolute **** out of them to make boost. The accelration will be reduced significantly when going into an oversized pipe and the acceleration is needed to carry through the intercooler and into intake system. Slowing down the flow will result in loss of spool and performance.

The piping does not wick away heat as you are suggesting. The intercooler does. The point is to get the charged air into the intercooler as quickly as possible. Why is it that aluminum is used anyway for intercooler piping? For the exact same reason it is used in Soda can.

Honestly if we followed your example all I would have to do is run 20 feet 4" intercooler piping and no intercooler since that would have the same surface area right?

Use the smallest intercooler piping that does not choke flow of the compressor. If you don't believe me take a straw blow into it. Then take a radiator hose and do the same. Then think of how fast the piston is moving up and down and you will see why it is important to have proper inlet velocity which also atomizes the fuel better.

The difference between 3" and 2" or 2.5" is that if I run 2" the next fool always wants to be bigger since they think its better. Has nothing to do with cost. Honestly I have $7,000 in my engine alone. Do you really think I would skimp on intercooler piping to save maybe $20 at the most?

Honestly if we followed your example all I would have to do is run 20 feet 4" intercooler piping and no intercooler since that would have the same surface area right?

I already ordered my 20 feet of 4" tubing before I sensed the sarcasm...

Hey guys, I just want to let you know I'm building a 99 Audi A4. Listen to me, because I am right.

Oh, wait. Nobody cares. Carry on.

Hey guys, I just want to let you know I'm building a 99 Audi A4. Listen to me, because I am right.

Oh, wait. Nobody cares. Carry on.

It has nothing to do with me owning an A4 or the 740 I also own. The point was that the reason people use 2.5" over 3" is because its cheaper which is BS. 3" is absolute overkill with such a tiny compressor that these turbos run. If you don't believe me I don't care. If you do believe me I don't care. However unlike most members that make forum hp I actually go out and do what I advise. I have ran the tests and properly sized intercooler piping increases spool and aids in proper fuel atomization. Bigger is not better and if you want to be honest buying oversized piping is a waste of money unless you have rediculous bends in it which restricts flow.

When I did the testing it was on 1986 turbo MR2 that I built from scratch. A turbocharged engine is a turbocharged engine. Just because one says Volvo and another says Audi it does not make them that different from one another.

Gross Poluter I see you have two 2JZGTE powered cars. Well if your running anything less then 10" intercooler tubing you are doing just to save money and being cheap.....

Last edited:
If you have data to substantiate your claims, post it up. "Because I said so" doesn't work around here, regardless of what you drive.

If you have data to substantiate your claims, post it up. "Because I said so" doesn't work around here, regardless of what you drive.

Dude your being a douche and your making something out of it that is not there. I never once said hey since I own an Audi this is right and this is wrong. I said that I have $7k in a motor it would be stupid to save $20 on intercooler tubing or does that not compute and neccesitate you pulling your forum cuffs?

Now since you want to be the forum police why don't you ask the other member to actually post proof of his proposition? Or does your policing only go after new members since you think they know less???

Like I already said I am looking for the graphs I had posted but the forum the info was posted on is long gone from 8 years ago. I may just re run the tests just so you can eat some humble pie and put your forum cuffs where the sun doesn't shine.....

or is this more because you can't understand what the thought the process???

"Since I swapped a 2JGTE in a Volvo that gives me the right to call out new members as I please........." Oh, wait. Nobody cares. Carry on.

You know it drives me absolutely crazy when members jump into a thread and post nothing of value and take away from the conversation and all they do is derail the topic. I bet that makes you feel special.

Last edited:
You know it drives me absolutely crazy when members jump into a thread and post nothing of value and take away from the conversation and all they do is derail the topic.

You must drive yourself insane then, with your walls of text. Everyone else in this thread is right. You have nothing to prove them wrong, despite your claims. It's that simple.

Indeed, it is. ....

However he isn't wrong about the IC piping. 2.5" will support more airflow than 99.99% of 8v engines could ever hope to need (hell, at the power levels in this thread, 2" piping doesn't even offer a significant restriction). While the quicker response provided by 2.5" piping may be marginal , there are certainly no disadvantages when compared to 3" piping which offers no improvement in cooling and a decrease in response.

However, to get back on topic, when is the next dyno day planned? Any measured difference in mpg?

Indeed, it is. ....

However he isn't wrong about the IC piping. 2.5" will support more airflow than 99.99% of 8v engines could ever hope to need (hell, at the power levels in this thread, 2" piping doesn't even offer a significant restriction). While the quicker response provided by 2.5" piping may be marginal , there are certainly no disadvantages when compared to 3" piping which offers no improvement in cooling and a decrease in response.

However, to get back on topic, when is the next dyno day planned? Any measured difference in mpg?

Just because the 8V cylinder head is the biggest restriction doesn't mean you can't reduce headlosses else where in the system and notice performance gains. From the Air filter all the way to the tail pipe is just a big series circuit. How do you find the equivalent resistance of a series circuit?

Indeed, it is. ....

Next trip will be after I can get a downpipe and get an intercooler in. And no, mpg has been staying around 18 avg since I've had the ipd cam in regardless of other mods.

Back