• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Stock Diff + V8 = Broken Diff, LSD Options?

GratefulNed

So TB, my v8 swapped 240 is really coming together, i have finally reduced the interior volume/drone of the exhaust to less-than-mind-numbing levels thanks to $350 in cats, mufflers, and u l t r a q u i e t resonators and a full weekend of sound deadening and carpeting. (Full build log still coming, maybe... tomorrow)

Heres the scary clicking noises coming out of my diff after my most recent saturday "rip". Noticed it while changing brake pads. Perspective: 350k mile 1030 in a 93 240, 350hp 355 chevy, skids around town every day for about one entire month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25RVhInjA2U&ab_channel=DanielJosey

Reccomended options for LSD (or locker) action seem to be the power trax 2210-LR at ~$250, and the detroit trutrac 912a588 at ~$580.

Anyone with experience with either of these in a daily driver? Id like to drive her cross country soon. Any performance differences, or reasons to spend twice as much on the trutrac?

What are your goals?

If your big into burnouts, donuts, drifting, drag racing, off-road, or you want the best traction available for winter driving go with a locker.

If not, LSD.

Locker would be low on the list.

The question is if you want torsen or clutch type LSD. The Torsen is great for most but for racing where you can loose all grip on one wheel with either very loose surface or wheel lift. In those cases the clutch type is the way to go. The down side of clutch is that they do need to have the plates replaced from time to time

Cheapest thing would be to pick up another rear from Pullapart and throw in a g80.

I have a Detroit TrueTrac LSD in a 1031 rear end with 3.73 ratio. I really like it paired to an LT1/T56 powertrain I do 2k rpm at 80 mph in 6th. The LSD makes for very controlled oversteer that returns to center smoothly with throttle off. Seems to me like a solid compromise build for the rear end that is very progressive and controllable as you reach the grip limit.

I have a Detroit TrueTrac LSD in a 1031 rear end with 3.73 ratio. I really like it paired to an LT1/T56 powertrain I do 2k rpm at 80 mph in 6th. The LSD makes for very controlled oversteer that returns to center smoothly with throttle off. Seems to me like a solid compromise build for the rear end that is very progressive and controllable as you reach the grip limit.

Shoot, you convinced me I just ordered it. Thanks everyone, and thank you extra, this was just the response I was looking for!

Back