• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Oil and filter Issue

Old Iron

I Roll
Hey guys, did a dumb thing. In between all the errands today I went to do a simple oil and filter on my 1994 940 Turbo. While refilling the oil is accidentally let a piece of the foil cover get into the engine. I wanted to panic, but I drained the oil twice and didn?t see if t come out. Used a strainer and all. The piece was smaller then a Penney, but way bigger then a pin head. Do I have anything to be worried about on a B230ft. Is it stuck up in the head, will replacing the valve cover gasket get me access to it. Or would it likely have fallen below a place I can get to. I hate for the thing to plug up any oil lines.... etc.

Thanks for the feed back, and yes, I already know I am a dip ****!

Photos

Attachments

• A24C9A22-C305-45BA-A915-6E0FB7BAF53A.jpg
    A24C9A22-C305-45BA-A915-6E0FB7BAF53A.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 190
  • CB3AB847-B585-401D-98AA-9ED54E35E0ED.jpg
    CB3AB847-B585-401D-98AA-9ED54E35E0ED.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 190
Most likely it is stuck in the oil pickup in the sump. If it happens to go through the pickup, I think the oil pump does not care(too much) because it's soft and there is not a lot of it. Oil filter picks up the rest.

If you want to be sure open the valve cover first and then the oil pan.

Cool. Thanks. I probably over reacted posting this thread. But I love this car and don’t want a “foreign object blowing my engine up. In the 14 years of doing my own oil and filters, I have never done anything this dumb!

We've all done stuff like that, it happens, no biggie. It will take up less room in the oil filter or pump screen than the valve hushers always do!

You?ll be fine. When I was new to Volvo?s and first found pieces of the hushers in the oil i freaked a bit. A couple of 100,000 miles later it was fine.

Guess I have been lucky not to have done the same. I used to run a filter magnet and don’t know why I stopped. Would not help this situation but got two different type coming. None of my heaps use any oil. Going to look at upping the service from 5 to 10 k on mobile 1.

Old Iron, you're in Delaware? What color is your 940? I might have seen your car on the road at some point.

I took the valve cover off and got the piece out!

Trust me I've put far worse things inside b230 engines

Hiding murder weapons? Lol

You?ll be fine. When I was new to Volvo?s and first found pieces of the hushers in the oil i freaked a bit. A couple of 100,000 miles later it was fine.

In my online search I read about people dropping whole caps/rings in and never having an issue.

Guess I have been lucky not to have done the same. I used to run a filter magnet and don?t know why I stopped. Would not help this situation but got two different type coming. None of my heaps use any oil. Going to look at upping the service from 5 to 10 k on mobile 1.

That reminds me that I need to buy one!

Old Iron, you're in Delaware? What color is your 940? I might have seen your car on the road at some point.

Yep. In DE drive a red 945 Turbo! Where are you?

Most Cummins diesel fan use Shell Rotella. This is the reason they quit using the foil seal.

I use Rotella in my 1980 MB 240D

Typically anywhere between Dover and Newark. That's funny. Mine's also a red 945 Turbo.

I think I saw one of you guys, heading toward Dover via 13, before new years. Very clean looking car at least from my dirty windshield.

I saw a guy driving a blue 244 through Newark up Old Baltimore Pike a few weeks ago, daytime.
I live quite close to there, if you guys need anything.

I think I saw one of you guys, heading toward Dover via 13, before new years. Very clean looking car at least from my dirty windshield.
It's possible since I'm headed down 13 S most days, but if the car looked very clean, it's probably Old Iron's. Mine's a frightening deathtrap.

Yep. Was probably me. Thursday, the day after Christmas I was roaming around Dover looking for the 850 hot wheels. Was that the day? I was in my red 945 T!

Back