• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Valvetrain Noise

Just use the recommended amount and no more. It can shorten the service life of converters which is why the epa made the oil makers reduce the amount. At least that is the lore as I understand it. You can also get high zinc oils from Summit and Jegs. They are listed as racing oils or off road oil. But they are good for old road cars that need that lubrication. Stuff like old pushrod beetles and porsches as well as V8 classic stuff.
I don’t have a catalytic converter anymore so no worries there. I will try a zinc additive and give it a few weeks.

Put the old shims back in see if It hushes up maybe?
I already know it would since the noise only came after the reshim.

I’d like to say in conclusion that the noise is based off of 1 of 2 things:
-Different shim material than stock
-Or lack of zinc impregnated into the new shims

Well, this noise is still there after a couple thousand miles. I've been running T6 oil that is higher in ZDDP levels than most modern full synthetics.

In order to get these new valve shims "burnished" in with zinc, I was thinking of pulling all 8 out and letting them bathe in a zinc additive for a few weeks. I know this sounds absurd, but valve train noises really bother me.

Do you folks think a zinc bath would help, or should I just step up the ZDDP levels in my oil? I ended up not trying the additive yet.

It seems to me that this noise is caused by more of a metal on metal contact between the lobes and the shims. The reason the original was so quiet is because the shims were burnished/embedded with zinc, offering a much more cushioned engagement.

Yep, I'm currently running 5w30 full synthetic hi-miles Valvoline, and haven't noticed any issues except the 240 starts easier when the temps drop. Tha thin oil will be coming out in March or something. Hopefully no crackheads try to steal my nice oil.

So are you agreeing or disagreeing?

The weight of my oil has absolutely nothing to do with this valvetrain noise. And even if it did, 5w-30 is perfectly fine in a redblock.

Have you checked since you put it together and drove it?

Something, somehow, may have settled down and left a looser clearance somewhere. I dunno.

If it isn't an exhaust leak (and they are ridiculously similar to a valve tick), then it's got to be something slightly funky with one of the valves. Whip off the VC and eyeball everything, recheck the clearances with go/no-go feelers.

Have you checked since you put it together and drove it?

Something, somehow, may have settled down and left a looser clearance somewhere. I dunno.

If it isn't an exhaust leak (and they are ridiculously similar to a valve tick), then it's got to be something slightly funky with one of the valves. Whip off the VC and eyeball everything, recheck the clearances with go/no-go feelers.
Yup, noise has been the same since day one of the re shim. I tried multiple sets of feeler gauges with the same results. Logged over a thousands miles, same noise, same clearances. It is not a clearance issue. I guess I'll just have to live with it and hope that the ZDDP makes it's way into the shims over time.

I don't see how that would change the noise. It just makes the surface a bit slipperier, less prone to wear and eventual failure through galling.

Also, if you are absolutely sure nothing is wrong with the valvetrain, then perhaps the noise isn't coming from the valvetrain. For example - pushrod motors can make a weird clicky rattle noise when the cam thrust bearing gets worn.

So are you agreeing or disagreeing?

The weight of my oil has absolutely nothing to do with this valvetrain noise. And even if it did, 5w-30 is perfectly fine in a redblock.

In the Volvo 240 Owner Manual(

a) Pre-1985: B21F Turbo, B23E, B23F) it shows both 0w30 and 5w30 for temps to -40f up to 86f
b) 1985 manual: (B230F, B 21-F Turbo) does not list 0w-30, but lists 5w30 up to approx 60f
c) 1988 manual: ( B230F) lists 5w30 up to 68f

I think your oil will be fine. Like I said, I run 5w30 in the frigid months, never had an issue, truck on PR.

Last edited:
The only thing I'm certain about with this is:

Engine was quiet with M cam and factory shims
Engine was quiet with B cam and factory shims (yes, still within spec)
Engine was quiet with iPd turbo cam and factory shims. 2 were LOOSE (.020" maybe?)

Engine only began to make noise with the new shims. All 8 are at approximately .016". The shims and buckets were both very well lubricated upon install. Camshaft also installed properly, and properly broken in.

So it would be one hell of a coincidence if the noise was unrelated to valvetrain and began after, and only after, the camshaft was properly shimmed. Others with the iPd cam are reporting similar results of noise and have not bothered addressing it.

Is it something i should really worry about? Probably not. That doesn't deduce it as a nonirritant, though.

Exhaust gaskets are newer and haven't been touched in a while.

As for the noise, it sounds exactly like valvetrain. It is far too fast to be bottom end related.

It's just one of those "this sucks but fvcking leave it alone" type things. I'm not good with those.

In the Volvo 240 Owner Manual(B21F Turbo, B23E, B23F) it shows both 0w30 and 5w30 for temps to -40f up to 86f, I think your oil will be fine. Like I said, I run 5w30 in the frigid months, never had an issue, truck on PR.

Agreed.

Also, the noise does not change at all with temperature. Cold/warm/hot is all the same. It's most apparent between let's say 1,500-3,500 rpm. After that, I can't head over the exhaust. Before that, it's just pretty mild sounding.

The valvetrain operates at half engine speed, so any tick from the bottom end would happen twice as often as a valvetrain tick (if they're both singular).

Were/are you running valve hushers?
OHC redblocks run valve clearances that are about double what most OHC engines use. For example, DOHC Subaru engines use clearances of .007"-.010", and they are a direct acting bucket.

Could also be your fuel injectors. They sound very similar to excessive valve clearance.

Also, there is no reason to run a zinc additive or high-zinc oil on b21/23/230 engine. The shims are so large, the Volvo cams (and IPD) are so relaxed, and the valve springs are so weak. If you were using a flat tappet cam with little lobes, 1.5:1 ratio rocker arms, and valve spring force over 120lbs installed... then you'd want some zinc...

Back