• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Valvetrain Noise

I don?t get why you even care that it has some valve train noise. You should hear a solid lifter Chevy small block or a 1969-70 Boss 302 Ford engine if you want to hear a valve train noise. I loved the sound of my Boss 302 with all its mechanical noises. It was like music. The valve train noise was the drummer in the background playing the symbols.

Because it was quiet before the re shim, so now it annoys me.

Any chance the new shims or old buckets aren't quite flat? If either surface is a bit convex, you might get a teeter-totter effect as the shim flops back and forth on a central "high" point. I'd expect any motion to be damped by all the oil under / around the shims, but who knows.

Or maybe the shims are too small in diameter, and are sliding back and forth, banging into the edges of the buckets?

Just some thoughts, as all the other ideas seem to be getting repeated over and over and over and over......

Oh, and check your clearances, add hushers, and change oil wt

^ I'm going to measure the OD of the junkyard shims vs the aftermarket iPd ones. Yesterday I got the JY shims installed and cam back in. Waiting on a new cam seal and VCG and then we will see how it sounds. I kept clearances similar to what they were before.

If for some reason the junk used shims aren't any quieter, I'm just going to live with it. I won't pull the cam back out to do hushers.

^ I'm going to measure the OD of the junkyard shims vs the aftermarket iPd ones. Yesterday I got the JY shims installed and cam back in. Waiting on a new cam seal and VCG and then we will see how it sounds. I kept clearances similar to what they were before.

If for some reason the junk used shims aren't any quieter, I'm just going to live with it. I won't pull the cam back out to do hushers.

Pulling the cam is so easy. Only get the Volvo hushers if noise doesn't go away.

If you ever have kids, you will develop selective hearing skills.
Funny you should say that:ninja:
Pulling the cam is so easy. Only get the Volvo hushers if noise doesn't go away.
Yup it is very easy.

Should've seen me at the junkyard, I was trying to beat the rain and was able to rip the cams out in about 3 minutes flat:lol: impacts and electric ratchets ftw.

Got it put back together today. A bit quieter, and almost silent from inside the car. It used to be super audible while cruising and now it's not. I can still hear maybe 1 or 2 making noise (likely the looser of the bunch), but it is infinitely better.

This thread is useless without dB readings and spectrum analysis. Redo.

You're not wrong, because it's still a noisy Volvo :roll:

At the end of the day I'm satisfied with the interior noise level in comparison to before. So, surely the acoustics were different with the other shims:)

Back