• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Speed sensor wires?

So my speedo hasn't worked since I got my 940 and I was going to check behind the dash but figured I'd check the diff first and saw neither of the wires were connected to the old connector and came off somehow so I got extra sensors and connectors from the scrap yard and. Ow looking at them the one has just 2 white wires and no stripes or anything and the other has one red and green with white strip can anyone enlighten me on this

Sensor is an inductive coil which is not grounded to the diff cover. Polarity does not matter.

Alright, I wired it up and plugged the new connector in and still nothing
I'm not sure where to go from here I've check just about everything from the cluster screw contacts to the sensor on the diff

Is the ABS working?

Wiring diagrams Show some cars have GRN-WHT and GRN-WHT wires and some show GRN-WHT and BRN-WHT wires. Both go to ABS control unit. one of the wires also connects at the instrument cluster. These cars also have a transient surge protector (found above drivers side kick panel) for the ABS control unit. This has a 10 Amp fuse plugged into it.

My 88 765 gets it's speed signal from the ABS control unit. This ABS control unit gets it's signal from speed sensor on rear axle.

Last edited:
Is this the "940 drift car" you mentioned way back in the beginning?

The one with the welded diff?

It's got a good ole m46 swap and a welded 240 diff I believe is what he told me me when I bought it
Any chance the tone ring that's supposed to be on the diff is mangled or gone, or the sensor itself was damaged beyond use? Or the 240 diff never had a tone ring, because the 240 speedo got its signal from a cable at the transmission?

Just thinkin'

The sensor looks pretty straight foward and looked fine
I know 91-92 had lots of speedometer issues is there a way I could add a aftermarket speedometer/odometer to track miles ect

A $3 garage sale Garmin GPS unit will track speed, MAX speed, and mileage even when it's just laying on the passenger seat. The max speed and miles can be reset as needed.

The sensor looks pretty straight foward and looked fine
So you took out the sensor, looked in the hole, and saw closely spaced slots & bars, like this?

IMG_0021%28Medium%29.jpg

Back