• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AW 71 identification when ID tag is gone

N97746

Pretty much as the title states, any way to ID an AW 71 externally? I'm almost sure it is but I just wanted to be sure before using it. The little tag on the side of the tranny is MIA, only the empty box where it used to be.
On a side note does anybody know if an AW 70 torque converter can be used in an AW 71?
Thanks

Ive ran into the same problem. I did some searching last night and if you pull the pan an look at the filter the 71 is bigger than 70. There is pictures on google comparing them to ea. other. Thats the only way I know of at this point.

There are 2 AW71's. One is AW71L that came out in non turbo cars like volvo 940. Then you have AW71 that came on turbo cars. You cant swap converters on the 2. Im about to put an AW71 in my 240+T at first I thought I wanted a lockup version but upon reading about them I changed my mind and going with AW71 w.o. lock up. If your running turbo Id stay away from the Lockup but if you are NA run it. Just my advise.

I pulled this tranny out of a '91 940 turbo, assuming it was an AW 71. I've done the accumulator mod but wanted to be sure before bolting tranny and engine back up. Just found it odd that the ID tag was gone.
There is an 03-71 over an A cast into the left upper housing, sort of above where the tag should be. Would think this is the ID code but wasn't 100% sure.

If it came out of 940T then it is an AW71 but is not a lock up converter. I’m not sure on the casting didn’t notice it on mine. Could be under all the crud.

There is an 03-71 over an A cast into the left upper housing, sort of above where the tag should be.
Like this, from another post here?

ODSolenoidWireOutSide2c.jpg

If it came out of 940T then it is an AW71 but is not a lock up converter. I?m not sure on the casting didn?t notice it on mine. Could be under all the crud.
I recently asked the same question. I was told you have to go by the tag. Volvo used the same cases for different transmissions.

That is it exactly. Does that tag say 3-70? Making it an AW 70?

Yes. It is an AW-70. The same case was used on the AW-70 and AW-71. An AW-71L is easy to spot because the bell housing is different. There is only one square port/window with the plastic screen on the bottom of the bell housing vs. the two windows the AW-70 and 71 have.

Back