• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Reoccurring Rust Advice

Yaboyolin

Hey everyone, due to the quarantine I?ve been doing lots of needed maintenance on my 85 245 that I?d been putting off. One major thing that I?ve been dealing with for three years now is rust. I?m in Northern Vermont where they load the roads with salt. The underneath is undercoated and I?ve never had any issues there, all my rust is popping up from paint chips on the hood and tailgate

I?ve ground the spots down past the rust to bare metal, treated it with rust converters, used automobile primer and paint on the spots, and yet year after year they pop up with rust in the exact same spots. I?m genuinely lost at this point. I?ve done some searching and found some advice from this forum to use different acids to neutralize the rust, and rather than using automotive primer, a machinist forum recommended a different bare metal primer.

I am going to try these things as soon as I can get to a store, but I was curious if there were any other suggestions out there, or maybe a thread with some great advice that I missed?

GEM Rust Killer same same, you'll know its the right stuff when it sizzles and smokes and smells like death when you spray it on.

Most of your rust converter products are absolute garbage. The only one I know of that works is OSPHO. It is phosphoric acid that is formulated for rust conversion. You can get it at a marine supply store. You can probably also order it online.

https://www.nationalsupplydirect.co...ZzzbWdN-oljg5qjPHXUFZZQq_hSfnXbEaAjQpEALw_wcB

that is the type of product I was also referring to. It leaves it's own coating that protects the metal after you use it. Then you can paint over that with a rust killer paint. I've always had good success with that process.

Thanks for the advice! I've ordered a few different things and I'm gonna try them on different spots of the car, see how they work out when subjected to the real world

I'll probably pick up a sacrificial car that's fwd or 4wd for the winter in the future, the rwd life has left me stuck and frustrated a fair few times. Just trying to get through the next year or two of college!

Thanks for the advice! I've ordered a few different things and I'm gonna try them on different spots of the car, see how they work out when subjected to the real world

I'll probably pick up a sacrificial car that's fwd or 4wd for the winter in the future, the rwd life has left me stuck and frustrated a fair few times. Just trying to get through the next year or two of college!

Cheap AWD car you can throw away once you've graduated is the smrat way to solve this.

Back