• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

swapped turbos, now I gots no boost

justdrive

As some of you might know my turbo let go last week, and thanks to Shane here on Turbobricks, I got a unit sent to me yesterday.

spent the day swapping it out, installing my wastgate actuator and a few things....

Fired it up, tightened up the oiling line, let it get some temperature in the unit, backed it out the drive........ SLOWLY added gas..... no boost.
I thought I might have a hose loose.... I did, tried again, Nothing.....

As soon as it gets anything close to boost, the motor bogs, and looses power.....

Any guesses????

Mitsubishi 13.

I suspect its a leak, I just can't figure out where.

I THINK everything is tight..... I try to figure it out after 7 or 8 beers

Wastegate actuator set up right? I can guarantee it's not an issue with the turbo, that thing would hold 12psi no problem before I swapped the 15g on.
Since it didn't have that issue before, and the turbo is a known good unit, I would check over every little thing you touched/moved/removed and make sure there's no issues there. First things I would check are the WG actuator, turbo inlet/outlet hoses, and pcv hose that is routed into turbo inlet hose on both ends. I'm sure you've just got something loose and you'll figure it out.

Last edited:
Is this the same thing that was the reason for putting the old turbo back on?

I if all hoses are tight. Check you I/C. Could have a hole in it.

So sorry, 1990 745 turbo.

Mass Air Meter is by the Air cleaner.

One thing I did that might have caused a problem....when I removed my wastegate actuator, I pumped the rod... a bunch of oil came out, so I kept pumping until all the fluid was out...... did I damage the diaphragm?

thanks for all your input on this

eh maybe, but probably not. if you damaged the diaphragm it would have runaway boost, not zero boost. you've got a leak somewhere.

If you had a lot of oil in the wastegate diaphragm that turbo pushed all that oil in there. I did notice on my 13 Mitsubishi that the diaphragm is very weak. I would also look at the compressor bypass valve to make sure its not just cycling boost right back into itself

Is this the same thing that was the reason for putting the old turbo back on?

I if all hoses are tight. Check you I/C. Could have a hole in it.

No, the turbo was replaced because the bearing let go. up until that time, the car produced plenty of boost.

Intercooler is fine......

If you had a lot of oil in the wastegate diaphragm that turbo pushed all that oil in there. I did notice on my 13 Mitsubishi that the diaphragm is very weak. I would also look at the compressor bypass valve to make sure its not just cycling boost right back into itself

is that the thing on the outlet? where the vacuum line goes to the manifold????
I had to swap that because the one on the new turbo was damaged in shipping. can I install that wrong??

cbv was verified working properly, unless damaged in shipping.

Now when I say I bogs, I mean it BOGS. It's seems there is no fuel or spark.... But when I back off the gas the RPMs come back if I mash the gas, nothing, flat above 2500....but if I slowly let the RPMs build it will spin past 4500 before it fattens out.....

Back