• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Intercooler better suited to Automatic or Manual

Beauespirit

If your installing a intercooler on a 240 Turbo, would it be better suited to a automatic tranny or manual? I was thinking with the turbo lag and when you go to shift in a manual that you would lose boost, but in a automatic you can keep the boost on.

No such thing as intercooler for auto or manual....put down the pipe!

You install them for the sake of the motor, not what is delivering the power to the rear wheels.

There is no perceptible lag in the amount of time it take the turbo to 'fill up' the intercooler after a shift dumped all the pressure out of the intercooler tubing.

There's a theoretical lag, perhaps, you might be able to detect it with instrumentation.

But the main thing an intercooler does, cooling the pressurized air in the intake tract, is vrey important, and that very real functional improvement far, far, far outweighs any slight theoretical issue with the turbo working slowly away at repressurizing the added volume of the intercooler.

I think he might be confused that an auto might be quicker to a certain speed due to it staying on boost longer....you want an intercooler no matter what transmission you have!

Yes, some came without them but guess what? Volvo got wise and started to install them as standard and offered kits to upgrade the older cars.

Oh geez. No. As long as it can cool the air down well and minimize pressure drop it's going to be better no matter whether or not you have auto, manual, dct, cvt, eplicylical, whatever. Ever car that is now now comes with intercoolers. It's pretty straight forward.

I read somewhere that the non-intercooled cars was quicker in getting boost because the air didn't have to travel as far as with the stock intercooler setup. Supposedly it's noticeable, if that's the case it will take longer to get the power back on when shifting. I definately noticed it with the old 930 Turbos.

Put ice in the intercooler install it in the rear passenger window and finally get working a/c on your 240.

I read somewhere that the non-intercooled cars was quicker in getting boost because the air didn't have to travel as far as with the stock intercooler setup. Supposedly it's noticeable, if that's the case it will take longer to get the power back on when shifting. I definately noticed it with the old 930 Turbos.

Something was wrong with the 930 you were in. Those flow crazy sick and have rediculous throttle response with boost.

I remember reading the same thing here

Volvos ads state a drop in 0-60 with the addition of an intercooler, from 9 seconds to 6.8

Now perhaps they increased the boost? Even if they did, chances are you couldn't run the same amount of boost on the non-intercooled car.

Don't run an intercooler, pretend you car is "quicker" for it.

Yeah, they turned up the boost because the intercooler worked well enough to take the heat out of the air charge. The only way it would be slower with a properly working intercooler setup is if it took you 2.2 seconds to shift. Granny shifting and not double-clutching like you're supposed to.

Without the intercooler it was all 'danger to manifolds'. Add the intercooler and for that 17.5 seconds, you were freeeeeeeeee.

Volvo did increase boost because the intercooler allowed less detonation. What you guys don't know is that I own 5 of these 240 Turbos and all of them didn't come with intercooler. I was trying to decided if I should put the intercooler, that I picked up in the junk yard, with the Turbo that has the Automatic or the Manual. Of course the stock intercooler doesn't even come close with what the aftermarket offers, but I like to keep some of my rides as stock as possible.

Back