• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

78 242 v8 swap? 302 vs. ls 5.3

sneaky78

i just picked up this cool 78 242 and have always wanted to to do a v8 swap in one.

problem is i have a good 302 w/ aluminum heads and a ls 5.3l out of a truck.

the 5.3 needs a rebuild as it has 300k on it but it ran good when we pulled it out.

just wondering which direction would be easiest on me especially money wise. i've read alot of the build threads. i know the LS = more power potential but power is not all im looking for. i want to do this on a budget and am probably going to to a carb setup rather than FI at first then maybe down the road move to efi.

this thing has a b230f in it now out of i think a 1991. how upgradable is this current setup? im only looking for 250-300hp at the most. im not trying to go crazy just fun to drive.

1044452_10154688932040604_1677213504100419736_n.jpg

Definitely don't rebuild the 5.3. Just go buy another good one for cheap. Around here a strong runner is $650.

You could also sell the 302 and fund the LS or turbo the B230f, but only if it's in good shape. If the B230f is tired and you wanted to keep it volvo try find a 93+ 940turbo you can buy as a entire parts car.

Ford 302s are good but if you want to have better resale a LS swap is morr desireable IMO.

Of course that is my opinion, others will disagree.

that's a real sharp looking start, why not go with a 6L lq9? If you're feeling cool maybe a 5.4 from a ford truck? they are super super cheap depending on where you are, since you think a carburetor is the way to give it fuel get a victor jr intake, set of shorty headers and a 700 double pumper carb. at least it will sound good!

Last edited:
im more worried about oil pan clearance, ease of making mounts as im not a fabricator, hood clearance, suspension issues from added weight.

i'm a ford guy at heart but am strongly considering the LS just to try something different from my norm.

for now im dealing with a possible bent strut and getting bodywork done. im considering the Kaplhenke coilovers but im having trouble figuring out if its my strut or spindle thats bent.

Mounts for the 302 are simple easy. A bent piece of flat bar and a reinforcing bit. Run the mustang dual sump oil pan and you would swear the engine was meant for a 240.

The trans cross member is a few bits of flat bar and holes away from being perfect.
I have a 5.0, t5, with mustang driveline currently bolted in. Running fuel lines and hooking up computers tonight and this weekend.

You will need to pound in the passenger side chassis rail a bit if you run tube headers, FYI.

Any way you slice it, you're going to have a very fun car. I would probably opt for the 302, especially with your power goals. It's smaller and lighter than the 350, and you already have one with alloy heads.

Any way you slice it, a 5.8L will have more low-end torque. Women like torque. Just ask my son, Perth. He knows a thing or two about that ;)

LS. I've owned several 5.0 cars, 2 Volvos and countless Mustangs, and one LS.

Sell the 5.0 and the tired LS and buy a good one with the harness and computer and have far more potential.

im more worried about oil pan clearance, ease of making mounts as im not a fabricator, hood clearance, suspension issues from added weight.

i'm a ford guy at heart but am strongly considering the LS just to try something different from my norm.

for now im dealing with a possible bent strut and getting bodywork done. im considering the Kaplhenke coilovers but im having trouble figuring out if its my strut or spindle thats bent.

The strut tubes bend easy, the spindles not so much so.

Do you have a transmission for either the 5.3 or the 5.0? T-56's are not getting any cheaper, you will need an F-Body or MAST/Holley pan for the 5.3 for clearance. You can get a harness and ecu with a base tune for the LSx for $700 from PSI conversions. Either way EFI is the way to go on either engine. My 5.3 makes 250whp/300tq and I am already looking at forced induction.

My vote is do an at home rebuild of the 5.3, bearings, rings, used 4.8 flat top pistons to bump compression. With a cam and tune you should see over 350whp and would be plenty fun. I think 350whp - 400whp is the sweet spot on the 240 chassis. Right now the car is fun, but with another 100whp it would be perfect, IMO.

I bought a 302/AOD and it works well. Room to work on it and no need for a "new " rear end like an 8.8 ford. Cooling is a problem for any swap, and do your own work, not chasing other people's stupidity, like not grounding the engine block. Ground everything properly - heads, block, alternator, ECU, lights. Nothing like picking up a volt or two. Fords are notorious for ground problems, like our Volvos.

A stock 302 makes 300 lb/ft...so unless you're planning on towing houses, that should be enough to scoot a 240 around just fine.

I think the 302 is the easiest v8 swap... very little hacking of anything. You can even fit decent shorty headers in there with only minor framerail mods to the passenger side. Use the t5 and you even get to use the mustang driveshaft.

I shied away from the LS due to the additional cost... of everything... intakes, oil pans, transmission controllers, etc. I mean it's not rocket surgery, but even broken t56's are going for $800 around here. I'm not saying my swap was cheap, but I think the LS route requires a much larger outlay of cash.

Back