• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

242 Turbo spring options? (for handling, not looks)

Spark

Let's just start with this, I'm pretty happy with the stock ride height of my '81 242 Turbo and I'm not looking to modifying it in a way that really hurts the collectibility/future-value of it, if that's a real thing.

I've already found that IPD misrepresents the stock sway-bar situation (omits the Turbo/GLT models like mine with the 23f/21r swaybars) and I'm wondering if there's a similar situation with the spring height/rate? eg. I noticed Swedespeed has some 15mm drop springs that they refer to as being similar in height to the GLT springs?

The oem springs on this Turbo have a wire diameter of 13.3mm in the front and 12.0mm in the rear, which appears similar to the '88 244 springs MikeP tested.

I'm not opposed to the car sitting a bit lower if it improves the suspension geometry, ie. lowering the roll center, but not so much as to be hitting bump stops in corners or introducing bump-steer. With the IPD's advertised at 1.75" (~45mm), it feels like they might be overdoing it, Lesjofors & Kilen sport springs have a 35mm drop, and the forementioned 15mm Swedespeed option, thoughts?

I am in the midst of replacing the shocks/struts with some Bilstein HD's, installing new bushings, upper strut mounts, etc... I'd rather not have to dig into the suspension to make further changes once it's buttoned up and aligned.

Also, FYI, if you've ordered the Meyle upper strut mounts recently, check the boxes before you get started; mine arrived missing the spacers/washers that should go between the spring hat and the mount which has put my re-assembly on hold. :roll:

The washers should have already been in your strut assembly. I don't remember new strut mounts coming with new spacers. As far as the springs are concerned, I don't like the IPD lowering springs. Lowered cars become useless for every day driving. The IPD spring rate is OK, however, they sit too low for my liking. The GT front springs are a much better choice. Match them with a set of trimmed wagon rear springs and you will a car that sits at stock ride height that handles much better than your current set up.

Restore It To Stock

^ :nod: What Roy said.

Also:

Bilsteins won't need spacers in the bottom of the tubes and a washer is a washer.

Furthermore your stock dust boots are worlds better than anything else out there and already have the special washers.

s-l225.jpg

I use the 'stock' turbo springs that FCP and other places used to sell under scan tech. They are about 14.3-14.5 mm wire and give you stock ride height with a stiffer spring. They are based on the 79 242gt springs 1229337. On the rear I have overload springs.

It's been that way for over 200k miles. A good compromise for a foul weather daily driver.

The washers should have already been in your strut assembly. I don't remember new strut mounts coming with new spacers.
No, there is definitely supposed to be a washer included in the Meyle upper strut mount kit. Unlike the oem upper strut mount, the bearing doesn't have an extended nose which would cause the spring hat to rub against the seal and under deflection, possibly bind. It should have a close fit, 18mm ID and they've definitely been included in past kits.

Here's a picture showing the differences between the 2 and Meyle's own instructions showing the shim that should have been in the package.
49219204173_fc70c36412_h.jpg

As far as the springs are concerned, I don't like the IPD lowering springs. Lowered cars become useless for every day driving. The IPD spring rate is OK, however, they sit too low for my liking. The GT front springs are a much better choice. Match them with a set of trimmed wagon rear springs and you will a car that sits at stock ride height that handles much better than your current set up.
I haven't seen any data to suggest the GT's actually had any sort of increased spring rate, not to mention their rarity and age makes this an unlikely solution.

Also, not all cars become useless when lowered. It was really common in the 70's and 80's for import cars to get jacked up when sold in the US to meet the changing headlight and bumper regulations. With those cars, lowering them really just returns them to their intended setup.

and a washer is a washer.
As a mechanical engineer, I'm going to strongly disagree with this.

Furthermore your stock dust boots are worlds better than anything else out there and already have the special washers.
See above, not what I was talking about.

1979 242 GT front springs are the stiffest front spring a stock US model got. 1229337. Available new and the wire diameter is 14.2mm. https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/volvo-coil-spring-1229337

They are a good compromise for a handling improvement with stock ride height. Real handling upgrade means giving up more ride quality and using much stiffer springs.

Last edited:
Considering the application, a washer is a washer/spacer. That connection will see no wear, unless, you leave the retaining nut loose.

Do your homework. The 1979 GT front springs are 14.2 mm wire. As dl242gt said, there are new versions of the GT springs. There is a reason the 79 GT actually had a smaller front sway bar than rear sway bar. The front spring rate was so much higher. It was a one year only deal. 21 mm front bar, 23 mm rear bar. The exact opposite of the Turbo bar specs. The 79 GT was the best handling 240 you could get from the factory. It had/has totally neutral steering characteristics.

Just for a fun fact. 242GT and turbo/GLT models are the only ones that had factory gas shocks. Boge branded De Carbon gas shocks. Rest of the world 242GT models also received the B23E engine while the US got basically 100hp B21F lambda.

Over in Europe they did continue to get GLT models after the 240 turbos were discontinued but I don't know if they have gas shocks and the stiffer front springs. .

Last edited:
:uh:

Ok a grade 8 cut washer is a washer as long as you get the right one.

If it makes him sleep better at night, why not. Probably less than $0.50 difference. Now that I see his diagram, I remember the washers that came with a set of Meyle mounts I installed 2-3 years ago. If I remember correctly, they were just zinc plated grade 2/grade 5 washers. They certainly weren't anything special.

Just for a fun fact. 242GT and turbo/GLT models are the only ones that had factory gas shocks. Boge branded De Carbon gas shocks. Rest of the world 242GT models also received the B23E engine while the US got basically 100hp B21F lambda.

Over in Europe they did continue to get GLT models after the 240 turbos were discontinued but I don't know if they have gas shocks and the stiffer front springs. .

In the Uk we never got the GT. In Europe the GT came with the B23 and tubular exhaust manifold (some LHD markets only)
Our GLT's came with B23E and then B230E (cams H then K then V) upto 1990 when they changed to the B230F engine. I would have thought they would have used the FB to keep the power up.

Dampers were Volvo branded Delphi De Carbons so not just a gas shock but a Monotube. I'm not certain if the 1990 year model GLT's still used the Monotubes as only seen a couple of them

It was so wrong to rob us good ol US customers of that power. I've always passed emissions easily with an enem cam in both of my cars. It's a conservative cam just like how volvo thinks but gives back a lot of power.

Back on topic it just seemed like the op wanted a good compromise spring. For performance tuned handling there is a lot of spring choices but you'd want to go with a coil over setup so you can take advantage of that.

The 1979 242GT also had the upper strut braces. I had the full GT suspension kit (except for the deCarbon shocks/struts - had the 4-way adjustable KYB struts and KYB G-A-J rears) on my original '81 242DL. Was pretty fun to drive. Yes, it leaned more than my 245 does with its 25/25 iPd turbo sways and the exact pair of GT braces that the 242 had on it, but was a bit more neutral in cornering.

Sway bar setups:

1975-76 sedans: 19mm front
1975-78 wagons: 19mm front
1977-91 242/244 DL/GL: 19mm front/17mm rear
1979-91 245DL/GL: 19mm front/16mm rear
1978 242GT: 21mm front/18mm rear, had 1229337 springs and the lower chassis braces
1979 242GT: 21mm front/23mm rear, 1229337 springs and upper braces
1980 242GT, 1981-85 turbo sedans: 23mm front/21mm rear, no braces, DL springs
1981 245GLT, 1982-85 245 Turbo: 23mm front/16mm rear, again, no braces, DL springs
1992 240 series: 21mm front/19mm rear, may've had GT front springs, but no monotube gas struts, and no braces
1993 was like the 1991 cars.

The 1992 models were an odd duck. That year, Volvo threw their remaining GT/GLT stuff at the base 240s, and, on the GL sedan, had everything, except the turbo beltline mouldings, it seems like.

If it makes him sleep better at night, why not. Probably less than $0.50 difference. Now that I see his diagram, I remember the washers that came with a set of Meyle mounts I installed 2-3 years ago. If I remember correctly, they were just zinc plated grade 2/grade 5 washers. They certainly weren't anything special.

:nod:

I was thinking more along the lines of finding a nice thick washer in the right size so he doesn't have to stack common thinner ones.

:e-shrug:

But that's the seat of the pants mechanical injuneer in me.

:-P

If it were me id get a set of coil overs for the car and remove the stock strut assembly and place it in storage. That way you can always revert back if you think it will negatively affect your value to modify it.

Back