• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

What's everyone's favorite brake pads

Marvelous3

Who engineered this?
Red wagon needs new pads - probably rotors - so what's everyone's go to pads these days? No track use on this car. I has/had EBC red stuff pads that worked well with manageable dusting.

Caddy big brakes on the front - so R pads will work.
stock AF rear 240 brakes.

For most driving: parts store ceramics or Akebono ceramics, or PBR Metal Masters if I can find them (I am currently hoarding a few pairs for 240s). If you know, you know.

on stock brakes ive been running stock pads, cheap and brake nicely but horrible dust.

I just put some bosch quiet cast on my DD With the brembo medium kit we sell. Its nice having a bigger caliper and rotor so you can use a lazy pad and not have any deg.

For aggressive driving, the favorite pad I've used were the EBC Yellowstuff pads....but I'm not sure they make them for 240s....but could be an option if you had some other kind of brake caliper setup on it....

I know they're listed as a "race" pad, but they worked fine on my wife's daily driven Mini. They were just a tad noisier than stock. Didn't dust any worse than the stock pads, which dusted pretty badly...and when paired with the sticky Dunlop Z1s, that car really threw out the anchor.

If I'm just tooling around/cruising, I just use whatever's cheapest...lol...

I've been very pleased with PRB Ultimate Ceramics. They seem to last forever yet don't chew up rotors.

NOT a fan of EBC Green's, the dust is absolutely horrendous. 100 miles and the rims are charcoal, 200 and they are black. Yellow's seem to be decent, running Wilwood 15A's up front now, going to Q's for the next set.

PBR Ultimate's were a really nice everyday pad, same for the Akebono's but I did find they took a little heat to get grippy on the R, where the PBR's were good from the get-go.

We’ll, I ended up ordering red stuff pads and centric rotors. Going to do the rears for now since they’re noisy and the fronts at another time. Availability on the hawk stuff from summit looked dicey…covid I guess.

NOT a fan of EBC Green's, the dust is absolutely horrendous. 100 miles and the rims are charcoal, 200 and they are black. Yellow's seem to be decent, running Wilwood 15A's up front now, going to Q's for the next set.

PBR Ultimate's were a really nice everyday pad, same for the Akebono's but I did find they took a little heat to get grippy on the R, where the PBR's were good from the get-go.

Had EBC reds in the Acura. Hated them.

Ceramics in general suck ass as far as feedback is concerned.

PBR also branded pads with the Axxis brand. I've gotten great prices on them from Rock Auto closeouts. The biggest single performance brake upgrade I've noticed was drilled rotors. Even using PBR deluxe pads the drilled rotors improved braking a considerable amount.

1991. Bought all new brakes [calipers,pads rotors] from Volvo for the V8 Wagon. April '21 put new pads on the rear, fronts are still fine. Also cross drilled all rotors at the time [120 holes per rotor], It is now 300K miles later.

Another good experience I can relate is the use of cryo treated rotors. On my turbo they have lasted through three sets of EBC green and are now using PBR pads. I used the ATE premium one rotors with the atomic slots. Then they were cryo treated at frozen rotors dot com.

We?ll, I ended up ordering red stuff pads and centric rotors. Going to do the rears for now since they?re noisy and the fronts at another time. Availability on the hawk stuff from summit looked dicey?covid I guess.

I used to run EBC red on my T5R. On cold winter days they did need some warming up before they performed anywhere near stock pads. Would not buy again tbh.

On my '89 240 GL I use the oem brembo rotors (vented front, solid rear), and Wagner Thermoquiet Ceramic in the front and Akebonos in the rear. They've lasted a long time for me as a daily traffic commuter (Pre-covid). Akebonos you can get on FCP euro, buy it once and forget about it. Wagners I got on Rockauto, cheapest I found.
Will buy again (new set of akebonos are waiting to be installed). I wish i could find akebonos for the front, but never did, maybe they didn't make them. Never had any issues with needing more bite.

Back