• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Oil return help...

midnightsaint

So I had a "friend" weld in a return line on my oil pan. The weld looked good.

Well I got the car all put back together today. And low and behold, the weld is leaking oil, BAD! I really don't want to take the pan back off again. Any ideas on how to seal this thing up? I was thinking JB Weld. But I am afraid it might come apart.

Drain the oil, and clean it really well.
Heat it up to burn out the oil, then clean it some more.
Go buy some wicking grade loctite and apply all over the weld area. It works as a magic porosity sealant, and it's oil and gas resistant.

Or be legit and pull the pan and re weld it, and leak check it before it goes on.

Drain the oil, and clean it really well.
Heat it up to burn out the oil, then clean it some more.
Go buy some wicking grade loctite and apply all over the weld area. It works as a magic porosity sealant, and it's oil and gas resistant.

Or be legit and pull the pan and re weld it, and leak check it before it goes on.
"Be legit..."
It is in my opinion the only thing you can really afford. To lose oil catastrophically will be the end of the line.:omg:

I believe I'll just cut the pipe off and put in a bulk head fitting. After removing the pan again. I swear that was the hardest damn thing about this install.

I believe I'll just cut the pipe off and put in a bulk head fitting. After removing the pan again. I swear that was the hardest damn thing about this install.

Sometimes these things happen. A bit of a PITA, for sure..;-) Now you'll know what you've got as compared to some options that may have worked for a while, and then not.:omg:

How are you going to deal the bulkhead fitting? How will you tighten the nut with the pan on the car?

Back