• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1991 740... Turbo upgrades/replacement?

Studie

1991 2.3L 740T... Turbo upgrades/replacement? Performance Mods?

So the turbo on my uncles 740 is done.
He had it replaced with a small one and the car has barely any power.

He's thinking of replacing it with an original turbo to get the car back to how it was driving originally.

What options are out there that is fairly simple and straight forward without too much headaches?

Please advise! Much thanks!

Oh and would like to add, the car is an Auto. And its a North American, 740 2.3L 1991.

Last edited:
put a 15g in it, they come off of Volvo 850s, It basically just bolts in.

Nice! Could you send me a link on where I can buy one? I am located in Canada.

I did a bit of googling, TD04HL-16T 49189-01350? 1996-1997? 49189-01355?

TD04HL-15G has a part number of 49189-01310.

Last edited:
Which turbo would I need? And which one fits the 740T's header?

Bro type "site:turbobricks.com 15g swap" in google

Do your research. If you don't have the patients to google the information that has been posted a million times on this forum, then I don't know how you're going to install the actual turbo.

As long as your car is the year 1990+ the 15g will bolt right onto the stock exhaust manifold

Do your research by reading all of the billion threads about it. You will easily find all the information required to install a 15g in your vulva

Do your research. If you don't have the patients to google the information that has been posted a million times on this forum, then I don't know how you're going to install the actual turbo.

As long as your car is the year 1990+ the 15g will bolt right onto the stock exhaust manifold

Do your research by reading all of the billion threads about it. You will easily find all the information required to install a 15g in your vulva

:nono: the turbo will not be a direct swap. It needs to be reclocked for a rwd application.

Excellent, thanks for the tips guys.
Just did a bit of searching and saw this!
images

Yeah, it seems like the 15G is what I need if I want a direct fit.

If not then the 16T will require some custom cut and weld of the downpipe.

Hi guys, I would like to bump this old thread. Finally got some time to work on my 740 T because of the downtime here in the city.
Covid has allowed me to spend more time at home and work on the smaller things in life.

Where do I start?! I spent the past hour fixing my distributor box that was gunky and contaminated contacts. A good wire brush and some brake cleaner did wonders! The car doesn't rough idle or misfire anymore!

Thanks guys, would love to hear your inputs.

The turbo has been replaced before with a random turbo that isn't powerful enough for the car.
I hate it because the gauge only really reaches half the boost. Hoping to swap this little bugger out and get a new turbo.

PCvaOxP.png

Get a used 15G/16T turbo from Swedish Iron and a wastegate bracket from yoshifab.

You will be blowing that old headgasket in no time!

The highest octane fuel you can get.

You will wanna fix all the soggy hoses and leaking vacuum lines. Maybe clean the injectors professionally.

The highest octane fuel you can get.

You will wanna fix all the soggy hoses and leaking vacuum lines. Maybe clean the injectors professionally.

Speaking of injectors, I think its probably best if I buy a new set from Rockauto.
Fixing them up here in Canada was more expensive than buying a set of 8 for my M3 at the time as Rockauto had the stock bosch ones for $25/each.

I just did an overhaul of the airbox. Got rid of the foam that was deteriorating and fix some of the hoses lines that were brittle.
Also did a bunch of maintenance with the fluids. The car is super mint. Now either the person who repaired my turbo didn't adjust the wastegate properly or the turbo is too small for the engine. The car originally had pulled much harder if I recall.

I had to pull the fuse for the radio as its missing the radio code for it to work properly.

The battery went flat a couple of years ago, topped it up with some distilled water, and gave it a good charge.

All is well. The glove compartment lock also failed so I'm going to get that replaced if they sell the lock somewhere...

I've inherited the car now, after the original post back in 2015 my uncle was still the owner.

uUScjVvl.jpg
USSihz5l.jpg
VgWAUCll.jpg

eW5gBq6h.jpg

Last edited:
I'd check for boost leaks first, then see how much boost it's actually making (you saying halfway up the gauge doesn't mean much.. it should rest in the middle with the engine off, and at full tilt, should be roughly halfway to the right), and then get a boost controller and turn the boost up to 12ish, and see how that suits you. from there, you can go in a number of different directions.

you can see me playing with my 91 940 (same car more or less) last year, and get a little idea of what all does what in terms of power gains.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLM3cB3a8Dz2pqq-Pgho2WXo3I93Owm2ai

I will be updating that video series here soon, as I've finally picked that back up and it's got a new turbo on it and 3 inch exhaust (and will have an intercooler upgrade as well when it's back to running)

Back