• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Is Torsen type LSD good for occasional street drift?

also curious to know what occasional street drift is :-P

I had a BRZ for 3ish years as a daily driver, pretty sure I put around 80k miles on it. It had a Torsen limited slip - it was pretty predictable depending on the tires and road surface, but sometimes would cause really nasty rear-end chatter from each tire fighting with the other for the best grip. This phenomenon was bad when launching the car, nonexistent when hanging the rear out.

also curious to know what occasional street drift is :-P

I had a BRZ for 3ish years as a daily driver, pretty sure I put around 80k miles on it. It had a Torsen limited slip - it was pretty predictable depending on the tires and road surface, but sometimes would cause really nasty rear-end chatter from each tire fighting with the other for the best grip. This phenomenon was bad when launching the car, nonexistent when hanging the rear out.

80k miles in 3 years? In a Toybaru? That sounds miserable.

Its like ordinary daily driving but sometimes you pass the supermarket parking that is half ocupied and you decide to make couple of donuts for example. Am I the only one who have such habit?

Its like ordinary daily driving but sometimes you pass the supermarket parking that is half ocupied and you decide to make couple of donuts for example. Am I the only one who have such habit?

I do this for 160.000km with a G80 and its completely fine.

There are a lot of videos on youtube about how people mod G80 locker for it to unlock only on higher speed than usual. Somebody even weld some parts in it and it won't unlock on any gear but still operates like a locker and not like welded diff

There are a lot of videos on youtube about how people mod G80 locker for it to unlock only on higher speed than usual. Somebody even weld some parts in it and it won't unlock on any gear but still operates like a locker and not like welded diff

That works OK for drag strip launching but will break the diff if drifting

I slid my cousins torsen Miata and it went sideways effortlessly and predictably. My 240 is on a welded diff and Ive had no issues dailying for over 3 years, but you get a little understeer. Wouldn't say it's worth the money for torsen, but for dailying and having the ability to goof off, they work well and are typically pretty reliable.

You can either disassemble and cut the fly weight that prevents it from locking or just weld it so it can't open. I had one that I cut the weight on, it did ok for autocross but wasn't ideal. I'm not a street drifter, it will probably work for what you want it to do without a lot of expense since you already have the G80.

You can either disassemble and cut the fly weight that prevents it from locking or just weld it so it can't open. I had one that I cut the weight on, it did ok for autocross but wasn't ideal. I'm not a street drifter, it will probably work for what you want it to do without a lot of expense since you already have the G80.

But for how long this modified G80 locker will be operating like a locker?

Greg Ervin ran a modified G80 in his street/drag/Autocross 740 for several years without any problems. It would lock at any speed and stay locked as long as we stayed on the throttle. It unlocked when we let off. It never did anything unexpected. It was cheap and effective.

Greg Ervin ran a modified G80 in his street/drag/Autocross 740 for several years without any problems. It would lock at any speed and stay locked as long as we stayed on the throttle. It unlocked when we let off. It never did anything unexpected. It was cheap and effective.

This moded G80 must wear quite fast because of clutch panels that don't last long under high load. Is it make sence nowadays to buy G80 when no repair kits for them available?

This moded G80 must wear quite fast because of clutch panels that don't last long under high load. Is it make sence nowadays to buy G80 when no repair kits for them available?

The G80 is/was the cheap TB modification. If you have any $$ for real parts, I would not recommend wasting your time/money with one.

Back