• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

'81240 Front Sunroof Seal

johfraser

Any one have a suggestion for improvising a sunroof front seal?

Some time ago I tried some closed cell neoprene weather striping. Worked good but the adhesive was not the hard setting type and eventually it was pushed down into the roof. Also. the exposed top edge became hard and cracked.

IMO the sunroof "seal" is really only more of an air and wind seal. I'm sure it helps keep some of the water out but if I understand the system correctly, it's designed to leak water and let the four corner drains take care of the water. I can tell you when my car sits for more than a couple months, the drains get clogged (bugs?) and water will back up into the headliner tray and the moment I move the car will unceremoniously dump on my head or laptop (in case I'm tuning). If I had a garage I'm sure this would be less of a problem but garages don't come cheap.

it appears that FCP has the main two seals in stock (I know because I just bought them).

I did try to experiment with some alternate weatherstripping but all it did was make it near impossible to open and close the sunroof. If it were me I wish that sunroofs were never invented and/or volvo had the foresight to use the 740 sunroof system (completely removable tray) in the 240... wait... that's probably why they did the tray in the 740 because they made it after they made the 240.. nvmd.... well they should have had the foresight. end rant.

Back