home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 05-12-2014, 02:10 PM   #1
Beauespirit

Default Intercooler better suited to Automatic or Manual

If your installing a intercooler on a 240 Turbo, would it be better suited to a automatic tranny or manual? I was thinking with the turbo lag and when you go to shift in a manual that you would lose boost, but in a automatic you can keep the boost on.
Beauespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:31 PM   #2
midnightsaint
Board Member

Wow......
Just put it on.
Wow.....
Old 05-12-2014, 02:34 PM   #3
Mueller
Board Member

No such thing as intercooler for auto or manual....put down the pipe!

You install them for the sake of the motor, not what is delivering the power to the rear wheels.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #4
Mueller
Board Member

If new to cars or turbocharged cars, perhaps invest in a book or two on the subject.
Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:41 PM   #5
JohnMc
PV Abuser

There is no perceptible lag in the amount of time it take the turbo to 'fill up' the intercooler after a shift dumped all the pressure out of the intercooler tubing.

There's a theoretical lag, perhaps, you might be able to detect it with instrumentation.

But the main thing an intercooler does, cooling the pressurized air in the intake tract, is vrey important, and that very real functional improvement far, far, far outweighs any slight theoretical issue with the turbo working slowly away at repressurizing the added volume of the intercooler.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:49 PM   #6
Mueller
Board Member

I think he might be confused that an auto might be quicker to a certain speed due to it staying on boost longer....you want an intercooler no matter what transmission you have!

Yes, some came without them but guess what? Volvo got wise and started to install them as standard and offered kits to upgrade the older cars.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #7
Jack
junkman

well if you connect the intercooler to an exhaust ( an automatic car) you get better emissions - just long enough to pass smog

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul buck View Post
I love you even more Jack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBrick
Don’t bother, I would literally rather throw them away than give you the pleasure. I will never sell to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday View Post
I expect nothing less from an incel like you, Jack.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #8
CAPT_BLOTTO
#Crush It

Oh geez. No. As long as it can cool the air down well and minimize pressure drop it's going to be better no matter whether or not you have auto, manual, dct, cvt, eplicylical, whatever. Ever car that is now now comes with intercoolers. It's pretty straight forward.

Junkyard Parts request thread!
Mesquite FB page! Constant updates!

Da Yellow Sold | $800 245 | 77 244
CAPT_BLOTTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:14 PM   #9
Beauespirit

I read somewhere that the non-intercooled cars was quicker in getting boost because the air didn't have to travel as far as with the stock intercooler setup. Supposedly it's noticeable, if that's the case it will take longer to get the power back on when shifting. I definately noticed it with the old 930 Turbos.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:14 PM   #10
$600 Volvos

Put ice in the intercooler install it in the rear passenger window and finally get working a/c on your 240.
Quote:
Originally Posted by churd9 View Post
Trump supporters don’t shop at liberal Costco...must be the full of **** democrats
240240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:17 PM   #11
$600 Volvos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauespirit View Post
I read somewhere that the non-intercooled cars was quicker in getting boost because the air didn't have to travel as far as with the stock intercooler setup. Supposedly it's noticeable, if that's the case it will take longer to get the power back on when shifting. I definately noticed it with the old 930 Turbos.
Something was wrong with the 930 you were in. Those flow crazy sick and have rediculous throttle response with boost.
240240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:20 PM   #12
12david34
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
Put ice in the intercooler install it in the rear passenger window and finally get working a/c on your 240.
OT: i lol´d sooo hard..
12david34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:27 PM   #13
Jack
junkman

Quote:
I remember reading the same thing here
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:29 PM   #14
VB242
Beep beep zip tang

Aftercooler yes, intercooler yes, no intercooler BAD!!!
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #15
lummert
Board Member

I'm just going to pretend I never saw this thread.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:32 PM   #16
Mueller
Board Member

Quote:
Volvos ads state a drop in 0-60 with the addition of an intercooler, from 9 seconds to 6.8

Now perhaps they increased the boost? Even if they did, chances are you couldn't run the same amount of boost on the non-intercooled car.

Don't run an intercooler, pretend you car is "quicker" for it.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:40 PM   #17
Hoggster
Board Member

Yeah, they turned up the boost because the intercooler worked well enough to take the heat out of the air charge. The only way it would be slower with a properly working intercooler setup is if it took you 2.2 seconds to shift. Granny shifting and not double-clutching like you're supposed to.
Hoggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:44 PM   #18
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Without the intercooler it was all 'danger to manifolds'. Add the intercooler and for that 17.5 seconds, you were freeeeeeeeee.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:48 PM   #19
Beauespirit

Volvo did increase boost because the intercooler allowed less detonation. What you guys don't know is that I own 5 of these 240 Turbos and all of them didn't come with intercooler. I was trying to decided if I should put the intercooler, that I picked up in the junk yard, with the Turbo that has the Automatic or the Manual. Of course the stock intercooler doesn't even come close with what the aftermarket offers, but I like to keep some of my rides as stock as possible.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:50 PM   #20
dropped244
Board Member

Is that 1/8 mile or 1/4?
dropped244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:53 PM   #21
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Ping ping boom.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:57 PM   #22
JohnMc
PV Abuser

This guy did maths: http://evo123.net/forum/technical/ev...myth-dispelled

Basically, the internal volume of an intercooler is small. The volume of air a turbo blows out is large. The lag is minimal.

That said, in general terms an automatic turbo car will be quicker than a manual turbo car, at least until you've gotten flat shifting/launch control working and a very talented pair of feet and a very quick shifting transmission - which will help minimize the lost time during the shifting.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:58 PM   #23
Lord_Athlon
300+ Clurb

Quote:
Volvo did increase boost because the intercooler allowed less detonation. What you guys don't know is that I own 5 of these 240 Turbos and all of them didn't come with intercooler. I was trying to decided if I should put the intercooler, that I picked up in the junk yard, with the Turbo that has the Automatic or the Manual. Of course the stock intercooler doesn't even come close with what the aftermarket offers, but I like to keep some of my rides as stock as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Yet Asher here went with...
Lord_Athlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #24
smokeyfan1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
Aftercooler yes, intercooler yes, no intercooler BAD!!!
LOL you left out "outercooler" yes
Old 05-12-2014, 05:19 PM   #25
Mueller
Board Member

Quote:
Grab another 240 intercooler from the wreckers and do both an auto and a manual? People throw those thing away (or darn near free)

If you like to keep your cars as stock as possible I'd venture to say that you don't beat the hell out of them as well, so is a 1/2 second or whatever difference it could make really going to matter or not?

It is not like the addition of an intercooler is not 100% reversible or that you cannot experiment and swap it out if you don't like it.