• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

s10 t5 into an early 142

oemoilleaks

I'm a bit of a nut.

Part of the charm of the early cars, for me, is the long shifter in the front of the cabin. That charm hits its limits though... usually around 75mph in 4th gear.

As such I want a true 5 speed. But I want to do it without loosing the long shifter location.

From what I've been reading, the s10 t5 should help me accomplish this. But I haven't been having much luck with the search functions of TB or Google when it comes to how this might be done in an early 142s.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this swap? Or know of any good resources that might help a knucklehead like me figure it out?

-J

I posted some links on that other thread you posted in. Get a V8 rear shift T5 and swap to an S10 tail housing. It would be pretty sweet.

Ratios, input shaft length, input shaft diameter, crank pilot bushing, are the first things I think of. The redblock swap bits are all centered around the mustang t5. A mustang t5 with the s10 tailshaft housing and other required mods are what the ranger guys do to keep the shifter in the right spot. Should work just fine for you too I’d think.

Ratios, input shaft length, input shaft diameter, crank pilot bushing, are the first things I think of. The redblock swap bits are all centered around the mustang t5. A mustang t5 with the s10 tailshaft housing and other required mods are what the ranger guys do to keep the shifter in the right spot. Should work just fine for you too I?d think.

I remeber those days in my 140 4-speed. I wanted a 5th gear or overdrive or something. turning 3500 rpm's at 65 mph will rattle your teeth out . The input shaft is easily replaced. But can't easily fix the ratios. Put it on the projects forum. I'd like to see.

When I was measuring my M41 against the T5, I figured that even with the S10 tail housing, you'll still be cutting a new hole in your early 140 for the shifter. The S10 shifter sits a few inches behind the stock shifter, as opposed to 13" behind with the Mustang T5.

When I was measuring my M41 against the T5, I figured that even with the S10 tail housing, you'll still be cutting a new hole in your early 140 for the shifter. The S10 shifter sits a few inches behind the stock shifter, as opposed to 13" behind with the Mustang T5.

Interesting! I want to keep the center console thing there if possible, There is some room to play but I guess I'd have to figure out where the hole is going to go to see if this is even an option.

Is it just me, or do those photobucket links not work?

If it is me... how do I fix this for the love of god?!

Photobucket blocked hotlinking images unless you pay them an exorbitant amount of money. There are addons for Firefox and Chrome to get around it.

The stock shifter hole is 12?" from the bell housing to block mating surface. The S10 tail housing puts the shifter 11?" from the bell housing to transmission mounting face. That only leaves 1?" for the M45/6/7 bell housing and the adapter plate. I don't think you're going to be able to make the T5/S10 shifter line up with the stock hole in the floor board.

1053558.jpg

Last edited:
The stock shifter hole is 12?" from the bell housing to block mating surface. The S10 tail housing puts the shifter 11?" from the bell housing to transmission mounting face. That only leaves 1?" for the M45/6/7 bell housing and the adapter plate. I don' think you're going to be able to make the T5/S10 shifter line up with the stock hole in the floor board.

Yeah, he'll have to cut a new hole or at least enlarge the stock one. But it should definitely fit in the rest of the tunnel without modification.

Yeah, he'll have to cut a new hole or at least enlarge the stock one. But it should definitely fit in the rest of the tunnel without modification.

Enlarging doesn't bother me. What I'm worried about is that it's going to be like 5" closer to my hip and will still require I remove that beautiful center console.

The S10 T5 can take the power if that is of any concern. I have a S10 T5 stock junkyard in my C10 with a LS swap and it is holding up just fine.

I would not bother with the Ford T5 conversion unless you are throwing over 300hp at it.

The S10 T5 also has a good selection of Hurst shifters available which is way way better than the stock stick.

PM me if you have T5 questions, I just finished two rebuilds and will redo a spare S10 T5 shortly. The Ford is going behind the 960 and the Gen4 T5 is going behind the LS for the 745. If WC you need a countershaft bearing retainer plate. (I have a video on that on youtube) The GM to Ford input shaft bearing retainers are swapable if you want hydraulic.
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/GM-Stock-Clutch-Hydraulic-Throwout-Bearing,1945.html

The S10 T5 can take the power if that is of any concern. I have a S10 T5 stock junkyard in my C10 with a LS swap and it is holding up just fine.

I would not bother with the Ford T5 conversion unless you are throwing over 300hp at it.

The S10 T5 also has a good selection of Hurst shifters available which is way way better than the stock stick.

PM me if you have T5 questions, I just finished two rebuilds and will redo a spare S10 T5 shortly. The Ford is going behind the 960 and the Gen4 T5 is going behind the LS for the 745. If WC you need a countershaft bearing retainer plate. (I have a video on that on youtube) The GM to Ford input shaft bearing retainers are swapable if you want hydraulic.
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/GM-Stock-Clutch-Hydraulic-Throwout-Bearing,1945.html

I don't know why I never got back to you about this. Well, yes I do... work.

What did you do to adapt the speedo cable? Or is it just you have to get an s10 from certain years? Or the tail housing from certain years?

Back