• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Jeh's 86 240GL+T Start to almost Finished

Jeh

A Smorgasbord of Excellence
Jeh's 86 240GL+T Start to Finish and then some.

Since I have finally come to a major stopping point I am going to put together a project thread.

I didn't know who?s car this is but I always liked the look. Initially I wasn?t trying to copy it and only found the picture long after mine was painted black and more recently after I changed the wheels.

(I found out this belonged to Tenacoius Todd)

volvo37.jpg

So here?s what I started with.

It?s a one owner 86 240 GL. Fully loaded, power everything, sunroof, auto, working a/c, 14? Coronas, Black leather and only 83K on the clock. Driven by a little old lady who bought it new in Albuquerque and kept it in her garage. Sweetness.

At this point all the mods were really not visible except for the Virgo?s that I painted body color because they looked pretty rough and discolored. I had IPD sways with poly bushings, Torque and panhard rods, along with the TME Sport Springs and BOGE struts and shocks,new tie rods, ball joints and brakes. Along with a solid stage Zero The exhaust was a IPD cat back kit. Trying to make the best of N/A Power at 6500 ft I built a 6 deg advance cam sprocket, and put in an E-Fan from an S80

1grey.jpg

3grey.jpg

I started piecing the Plus-T parts together over the course of a year, doing what I could at my lunch breaks and then having the rest of the kit installed in 1 day. Thanks to Jim (jimjawz). Essentially it was everything from a 87 740 with a Mitsu 13b. We called it the starter turbo and it was on 3 different plus t cars.

1plust.jpg

2plust.jpg

3plust.jpg

4turbo112b.jpg

This was actually my 1st avatar I pieced together a 740 turbo and 240 emblem.

4plustsig.jpg

Time for paint. The cars body was in pretty good shape minus a small dent or two but being silver gray iin the southwest it didn?t rust the paint just fell off. I stripped everything I could off the car except the glass and handles and had it Schiebed . I had them do the hood, trunk and door jams as well as fix a couple of dents.

1paint.jpg

2paint.jpg

Here are a few after it was put back together The emblems are new and agiain I cut up a 240DL and 740 turbo emblem to make it look stock.Thanks to Dave Barton for the moose stickers

1afterpaint.jpg

2afterpaint.jpg

4afterpaint.jpg

This was my after painting sig until just recently.

3afterpaintsig.jpg

I finally got the side markers wired correctly so they are on with the park lights and blink with the turn signals.

DSCF1724.jpg

It was time for a new (to me) Turbo I picked up a 13c with a 90 plus manifold from another Tbricker. Ian (Murderface). I also tossed in a T cam.

5turbo213c.jpg

It was time fro some new tint as 20+ years had taken its toll on the original tint so I went with 15% all around.

tint3.jpg

tint2.jpg

tint1.jpg

I had a custom Euro plate made to match my normal registration tag and mounted it in the stock position. Seems either you like it or you don?t. I have a second plate coming to mount up front. The regular plate is lit with the vehicle lighting. Its been there a year without issues from the Police. I also have the class 3 Volvo hitch. Do I pull anything? Nope, but I left it there because nothing says slow like a trailer hitch.

plate1.jpg

Last edited:
Part 2

Here are a couple of pics from a track day last year
Here are the 4 Volvos for the day Jimjawz in his brothers car ?Betty?, Me, Dane, and Ian (murderface)

track1.jpg

track2.jpg

track31.jpg

track41.jpg

I did all my gauges thanks to Dave Bartons Page davebarton.com

gauge1.jpg

gauge2.jpg

gauge3.jpg

This is a Glowshift AFR gauge and it was the closest thing I could find to match. I can swap it out with an ambient temp gauge as well.

gauge4.jpg

The next improvement was the Freds chip followed by the addition of EZK 117 I would love to find a chippable 117 but so far no dice. I included an EZK schematic for anyone else who would like to do this swap. The hardest part is figuring out where the wires go.

IMG_0818-1.jpg

EZKDiagramFinal2.jpg

I had the control arms boxed and replaced all the supension bushings with Poly, what a difference

control3.jpg

New Turbo Time. The 13c was good to about 11-12psi and I happened across an almost brand new Cherry Turbo?s 18t. I E-mailed Cherry about it and for specs and was told it was set up to run 17-18psi. Which is just above what the 9mm rods should handle. It seemed perfect and it runs awesome. According to Fred This setup should be good for 225 HP+. I do know it will destroy an AW70 in short order.

cherryTurbo18t.jpg

I installed a fuel pump from an S80 T-6 in the tank and bypassed the undercar main pump. It was good for 300+hp so I am sure its good enough for me. Sorry no pics.

Scored a Black sunroof headliner for free with all the matching clips, handles ect. With the dark tint its like driving around from inside of a cave Thanks to my employer Dave Lang at Independent Volvo, Albuquerque.

headliner1.jpg

The newfound power was too much for the AW70 so it was time for a swap. In went a m47 5 spd and I scored a leather shift boot from a fellow T-bricker The extra switch is a fan override that puts the E-fan on 100% all the time. It works very nice. On my last track day after 15 solid minutes of hard running he temps never hit ?. Also thanks again to Dave Barton for the adjustable voltage regulator. But I am going to look in to adapting a 100 amp alt that I found. I put a Kenwood head unit in the lower cubby when I installed the gauge setup. It as the USB input on the front.

shifter1.jpg

Here is my latest addition. I scored a set of 16? Regulus wheels from a S80 that was sitting out back so along with 25mm spacers up front and 32 mm spacers in the back I finally stepped in to the 90s with some bigger wheels. I am running Falken RE912?s 205-50-16?s. It was also time for some new rotors so I went with the Zimmerman crossdrilleds. Again, thanks to Dave Lang for the wheels

wheel11-2.jpg

wheelandbrakes1.jpg

wheel31-1.jpg

So here?s where it stands now and it looks surprisingly like the car in the First pic. I have the bike rack to haul around my Trek 1.2 that I picked up last year

finish1.jpg

finish2.jpg

Next??????

Well I just replaced the taillights with new ones with Black centers vs the chrome (pics to follow, I am going to replace the headlamp lenses if they don't polish out. I am looking in to dropping the front a touch maybe a coil, The biggie is prob the seats. The leather on the drivers seat back is getting a bit worn thin and I have my eye on a pair of S80 seats in black leather. I just have to figure out of they will fit?..

Last edited:
Well, you are kinda stretching the elevation...but...pretty kick ass. I haven't seen this car driving around in a long time.

I was wondering whose car that light blue/dark blue 244 was!!! I was at a customer's house in paradise hills and heard something that sounded like my old 244TI. Seeing Tim's slammed blue 240 roll by made me giddy.

What kind of track do we have besides the drag strip?

Edit: I wish I worked at Independent, too.

Last edited:
Well, you are kinda stretching the elevation...but...pretty kick ass. I haven't seen this car driving around in a long time.

Not really, Edgewood's is almost 6700 ft and I live closer to 7000 so every bit helped at that time. Also its my DD I've put 80k on the clock in 3 1/2 years.

What kind of track do we have besides the drag strip?

Go to this thread there is an open track day at Sandia Motorsports It would be awesome to have a bunch of Volvo's

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=163458

thats a ballsy plate placement there. Pulled over much?

Edit: with reread I see the answer is "no". Amazing!

The plate used to hang down lower but I had to tuck it up since I was scraping it. At this point I am surprised I haven't been stopped but its been that way for a couple of months.

Thanks for the positive comments.

I like the car man!!! Quick question, When doing your M47 swap how did you manage to do the pedal set??? I'm in the process of putting an M47 into my car right now and can't for the life of me slide that old brake pedal out! It appears as though I'll have to pull the steering column to get the bish out...

Any suggestions meng?

I like the car man!!! Quick question, When doing your M47 swap how did you manage to do the pedal set??? I'm in the process of putting an M47 into my car right now and can't for the life of me slide that old brake pedal out! It appears as though I'll have to pull the steering column to get the bish out...

Any suggestions meng?

You shouldn't have to pull the column (mine is an 86 and the donor car was an 89 later ones may vary). I found it helps to pull the booster or at least unbolt it and push it into the engine bay a bit. If I recall it should just rotate out CCW.

Hope that helps if not let me know and I will go look at my donor car to see what I had to do.

New Lights

I finally got sick and tired of my lights. The fronts were yellowed an loose and the rears were faded and cracked. So instead of polishing its time for some new ones. :)

I replaced the rears with the chrome bar to black. These were from work Uro's $60 ea

tail.jpg

The fronts I just picked from Ebay (made in Estonia) for $112 shipped. I thought about just replaceing the lenses but the lenses were $65 so I said hell with it and splurged. Besides this is soooo much easier and you get new chrome. :):)

Look at the difference. The S/W sun just beats the plastic.

1good2.jpg

And now New lights with 55-100W bulbs

headlight2.jpg

I will get some better pics after I clean the car. It just snowed,thawed,melted and its now freezing.

I need to give credit where credit is due. These control arm box plates came from sdturbo www.yoshifab.com
and I had then welded,painted and then popped in the poly bushings. I need to order a rear set now.

control3.jpg

control2.jpg

track31.jpg

damn, that thing is SLAMMED, im jealous.

Thanks.

Nice, but please fix your sidemarkers.

Are you referring to the fender mounted markers? I know they normally go the other way but my holes were punched odd?? and thats how they fit. I tried to get one out after I popped them in and saw it was backwards and it broke so I left them.

The car is getting repainted soon and I am getting another set to fix it. If thats not it what are you referring to?

I put my IPD cam in the other day but after a pinging session I reset the timing. I found out today how much MY timing light sucks as it was reading 9 deg and after using Jim's $450 Snap-on light found out it was only at 4 deg btdc. DOH'T.

So after a quick reset and a warm up it did an amazing burnout catching 2nd gear and pulling the rear sideways. I then tried a rolling start in 2nd gear and it roasted the tires all the way thru 2nd.

When I left to go home it pulled right up to the red line hard and bounced off the fuel cut.
Damn what a difference. The "t" cam just made a lot of noise past 5200 rpms or so.

This was definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

I would post pics but a cam is a cam is a cam as far as pics go.

I put my IPD cam in the other day but after a pinging session I reset the timing. I found out today how much MY timing light sucks as it was reading 9 deg and after using Jim's $450 Snap-on light found out it was only at 4 deg btdc. DOH'T.

So after a quick reset and a warm up it did an amazing burnout catching 2nd gear and pulling the rear sideways. I then tried a rolling start in 2nd gear and it roasted the tires all the way thru 2nd.

When I left to go home it pulled right up to the red line hard and bounced off the fuel cut.
Damn what a difference. The "t" cam just made a lot of noise past 5200 rpms or so.

This was definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

I would post pics but a cam is a cam is a cam as far as pics go.

nice review. i'd love to drop in an ipd cam

I read your "Tale of to turbos" write up in Rolling. Nice to find your project thread and see some more pics.:)

Think of it as anti-aerodynamic. Bricklike :-D

It wull get fixed witht the repaint. Hopefully by the end of summer.

LOL
Probably a big batch of screwups.
"Well we got them for a discounted price, let's slap them on some cars headed to the us"
...and then that guy got a raise.

Back